www.theroot.com | Michael Harriot | 11/26/19 | 6 min
    8.0
    www.theroot.com
    8.0
    • ctwardy7 months ago

Harriot vividly depicts the very real systemic disadvantages he and many face. But where he takes opposition to the 2011 Buttigieg quote, I read it as a shorthand for his points, and not, as Harriot reads it, some prescription for simple panaceas.

Of course Buttigieg doesn't really know what it was like to grow up poor and black. Neither do I. But I'm not sure Harrit correctly reads the motive or meaning behind that one sentence quotation.

The opening and closing are sentimental, yet strong. I think that this is the main argument:

“Men like [Buttigieg] are more willing to perpetuate the fantastic narrative of negro neighborhoods needing more role models and briefcase-carriers than make the people in power stare into the sun and see the blinding light of racism.”

Yes. Of course. But here’s the thing: Bits and pieces of that ideology are present in the consciousness of almost every human I know, and definitely every white human.

The use of “liar” and “motherfucker” don’t advance the argument. Instead, the anger gets in the way of a much deeper, tougher, and more nuanced conversation.

It’s counterproductive to attack people when they say something clumsy. It divides us. Mistakes are wonderful opportunities to forgive people for blind spots.

We need more ideas that bring us together. Especially on a topic like this, where there should be lots of common ground: ALL of the cards are stacked against young black kids.

• Karenz7 months ago

Bill, I appreciate your thoughtful response. There’s a lot more to Mayor Pete than a lying mothetfucker but make that comment at the risk of being branded a racist. This is bullying namecalling and don’t we have enough of that with Trump?

Thanks Karenz!

And Yes, I agree! We do have enough of that with Trump!

• Plum7 months ago

Pete needs to learn how to listen to truths outside of his elite circles. Something not taught in elite circles.

• Jim7 months ago

Good stuff.... Angry and raw.... Pete is not a Liar, he is mistaken about some things but he is smart and empathetic and in my opinion a pretty good human. I could absolutely pull the lever for him!

• TripleG
      Reading streak

Absolutely correct. He is one of the lucky few!

Scribe

Very Powerful, highly recommend.