1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

• thorgalle

So cool. I think the Pillars of Creation are gorgeous, curious what Webb will come up with. Glad they answered the question in the end: how to send a tennis court to space?

• KapteinB
        Top reader this weekScoutScribe

how to send a tennis court to space?

I think I first learned about this telescope from a video Tom Scott made back in 2018. There's a quick animation in the video (at about the 6:30 mark) illustrating the folding and unfolding processes, and yeah, it's quite something!

• thorgalle

Thanks for digging that up. Watched it whole, and I’m surprised at how much the content is similar to this article. Even the tennis court analogy!

• KapteinB
      Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      1 month ago

I'm excited about this telescope! But part of me is wondering if maybe it's too ambitious? It's way behind schedule and over budget, and there are still a number of things that could go wrong.

Fingers crossed that we'll be posting a whole bunch of super interesting astronomy articles to Readup in 2022.

• sater1 month ago

In the grand scheme of things, even $10B isn’t that much! It’s about 11 days of Apple revenue, or about as much as the city of San Francisco spends in 10 months.

• thorgalle

Lol. Good to put things in perspective!

• thorgalle

Amen to that! Thanks for this universe-expanding scout.

• DellwoodBarker
      1 month ago

Great Read! Always fun to read about new exploration and the universe.

This brings to mind a wonderful, inventive book that I recommend:

The Universe in Your Hand: A Journey Through Space, Time, and Beyond Book by Christophe Galfard

• EZ19691 month ago

I am so excited about this project. It’s completely audacious. I can’t wIt to see what images we get.

• sater1 month ago

Scientific exploration highlights to me human progress and collaboration. It’s heartwarming in an era of so much news to the contrary.

• Karenz
        Scribe
        1 month ago

This is amazing to me. That human minds can conceive of such an instrument is beyond my imagination let alone building it and launching it so far into space. Then there are astronomers who’d know how to use it!! I’m really excited to read about further discoveries into the origins of our universe and what we learn about others.