1. Social media powered by reading.

The best way to find, read and share articles online.

App Store BadgeChrome Web Store Badge
    Coming soon to Android, Firefox, Safari and Edge. Get notified.
    Vox | Rose Eveleth | 10/1/19 | 9 min
    Vox
      Top reader this weekReading streakScout
      1 week ago

And so we’re left with a tech world claiming to be driven by our desires when those decisions aren’t ones that most consumers feel good about. There’s a growing chasm between how everyday users feel about the technology around them and how companies decide what to make. And yet, these companies say they have our best interests in mind. We can’t go back, they say. We can’t stop the “natural evolution of technology.” But the “natural evolution of technology” was never a thing to begin with, and it’s time to question what “progress” actually means.

• SEnkey
        1 week ago

I agree with this whole heartily. When did we just accept that our phones would know where we are all the time? When did it become normal to record all my conversations? Why does my child's school want her to have a social media account?

1 week ago

Why does my child's school want her to have a social media account?

Seriously!?

• SEnkey
            1 week ago

Oh yes. They want them to have one for information passing and register it to prevent online bullying. We have not complied on that one. But here is one where we did cave. All the students have laptops/tablets issued to them. To use them they need a google account (via the school)- which account will track everything they do for google to monetize. I saw no way around that.

1 week ago

Yeah, wow. That ain’t right. I mean, I always knew it was happening, but I’m kinda just processing it. And I guess it’s something the kid will travel all around with after school too? (If so, f*ckkkk)

• SEnkey
      1 week ago

"So to suggest a slowing — or perhaps even (god forbid) a reverse — seems antithetical to the fabric of America. When former Uber engineer Anthony Levandowski says, “What already happened doesn’t really matter. You don’t need to know that history to build on what they made. In technology, all that matters is tomorrow,” he is echoing the sentiments of our nation’s founders."

Umm...I can't disagree with this statement more. The US founders were steeped in history. They were a mixed bag, but together they built a nation based off the written down experience stretching from ancient Greece and Rome up to the English Civil War and reformation. They were hardly dismissive of the past.

I do like the author's overall point. We don't have to embrace these technologies. These 'advances' are not inevitable.