1. Stop feeding. Start reading.

Readup helps you spend more of your time and attention on deep, focused reading. We are a community of readers, writers and free-thinkers. Join us today!

The New Yorker | Sam Sweet | 9/9/13 | 7 min
    8.6
    The New Yorker
    8.6
      Reading streakScoutScribe

I SO enjoyed this article! It sent me to Google, reading more about Satie’s life, listening to several of his piano pieces, including a selection from Vexations. This would be such a test of endurance for both pianist and audience. LOVE an eccentric!

• Alexa

I know right! I've been down a few rabbit holes with minimalist pianists now too. The opposite end of this is John Cage's 4'33" which just feels like really perfect trolling but who knows. I actually really want to try plonking out a few rounds of Vexations now just out of morbid curiousity

Reading streakScoutScribe

Do you play? I must say, you sent me on a wonderful Google search of John Cage and 4’33”. I posted my experience on Readup! What a delightful discovery! My husband plays the piano, so we have enjoyed all of this together. Thanks so much!

• Alexa

I use to! I can still somewhat sight-read music and when I get a larger place we're going to hound around for a piano. They are free remarkably often on craigslist if you're willing to move, and sometimes tune, them.

I really want to try the piece out, maybe I'll have to pull out my guitar and see if it has a similar effect lol

You're welcome too, I love how this community uncovers new rabbitholes for me :)

• jbuchana
      Scribe

This makes me think of Iain Banks' Hydrogen Sonata.

Reading streakScoutScribe

I looked up Hydrogen Sonata and was impressed with how difficult it was to follow! Science fiction is too much of a chore for me - how do remember all those crazy characters and places? So I can see that on the level of difficulty and patience, it’s up there with Vexations!

• jbuchana
          Scribe

Science fiction expands the mind... I almost put a smiley there, but there is some truth to it.

• TripleG
      Top reader this weekReading streak

Wow. Impossible to memorize. I have to listen to a few repetitions!

• Alexa

I'm really captivated by the brutality of this piece when performed. I can only imagine. It's like zen meditation, but plonkier.