Heads up: We're making Readup free for life to the first 10k users.8,421 spots remaining!
logo
  1. Social media powered by reading.

The best way to find, read and share articles online.

App Store Badge
    The New Yorker | Sam Sweet | 9/9/13 | 7 min
    8.6
    The New Yorker
    8.6
      Reading streakScribe
      1 week ago

I SO enjoyed this article! It sent me to Google, reading more about Satie’s life, listening to several of his piano pieces, including a selection from Vexations. This would be such a test of endurance for both pianist and audience. LOVE an eccentric!

• Alexa
        4 days ago

I know right! I've been down a few rabbit holes with minimalist pianists now too. The opposite end of this is John Cage's 4'33" which just feels like really perfect trolling but who knows. I actually really want to try plonking out a few rounds of Vexations now just out of morbid curiousity

Reading streakScribe
          3 days ago

Do you play? I must say, you sent me on a wonderful Google search of John Cage and 4’33”. I posted my experience on Readup! What a delightful discovery! My husband plays the piano, so we have enjoyed all of this together. Thanks so much!

• Alexa
            2 days ago

I use to! I can still somewhat sight-read music and when I get a larger place we're going to hound around for a piano. They are free remarkably often on craigslist if you're willing to move, and sometimes tune, them.

I really want to try the piece out, maybe I'll have to pull out my guitar and see if it has a similar effect lol

You're welcome too, I love how this community uncovers new rabbitholes for me :)

• jbuchana
      1 week ago

This makes me think of Iain Banks' Hydrogen Sonata.

Reading streakScribe
        1 week ago

I looked up Hydrogen Sonata and was impressed with how difficult it was to follow! Science fiction is too much of a chore for me - how do remember all those crazy characters and places? So I can see that on the level of difficulty and patience, it’s up there with Vexations!

• jbuchana
          1 week ago

Science fiction expands the mind... I almost put a smiley there, but there is some truth to it.

• TripleG
      Reading streak
      1 week ago

Wow. Impossible to memorize. I have to listen to a few repetitions!

• Alexa
      1 week ago

I'm really captivated by the brutality of this piece when performed. I can only imagine. It's like zen meditation, but plonkier.