Heads up: We're making Readup free for life to the first 10k users.8,421 spots remaining!
logo
  1. Social media powered by reading.

The best way to find, read and share articles online.

App Store Badge
    The Hustle | 1/25/20 | 9 min
    7.8
    The Hustle
    7.8
    • loundytampa1 week ago

“All you can eat” has never interested me , not for one second. Good read though , I can believe how much of a decline the “buffet industry” is on, I like to hear it , and if I really think about it - I’m really not that surprised.

• sjwoo1 week ago

“There are people who go to a buffet and eat for 3 or 4 hours straight”

Goodness...I think I'm gonna be sick...!

1 week ago

Haha. Humans are strange animals! I love how many wild ways there are to complete the sentence: “There are people who...”

• BetSheWet1 week ago

Nice read. The ultimate was my high school power lifting team going to a buffet after starving ourselves for weigh-in... they lost a lot those days

1 week ago

Haha. A while ago I met some hikers on the Appalachian Trail who did all-you-can-eat buffets in trail towns every few days, and basically didn’t eat anything else. Same idea. When you’re going hog wild like that, there’s no way the buffet isn’t losing money.

“Beating the system” always feels good.

• vunderkind2 weeks ago

Dark patterns. Dark patterns everywhere.

Hahahaha. Yes! Darker than dark.

“A buffet is just like life itself; you have so many choices,” she says. “It’s up to you to choose wisely.”

You can also choose to just opt-out entirely.

• walkdog11211 week ago

Gotta say, Ive eaten at my fair-share of all you can eat buffets with different sports teams. ‘Dark’ is the opposite at how we look at these beacons of hope and light! The food is objectively low quality, but you rarely will stroll to one of these food havens for that perfectly seared ahi tuna steak. True hunger is about the only thing that will be satiated.

1 week ago

So so true! Great points. This comment reminds me that I’ve actually had a ton of great buffet experiences, almost always with groups. And often while traveling. “Beacon of hope and light” cracked me up.

I guess even a place like Jack in the Box can be a beacon of hope and light - but it depends on your frame of mind, not to mention toxicity levels. We’ve all been there. Anyway, my motto (still) is: Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

• walkdog11211 week ago

Would you mind if I adopt that brilliant motto? I will be sure to cite you every time, Bill!

1 week ago

It's all yours, friend! 🎁

• joanne2 weeks ago

• vunderkind2 weeks ago

Mercifully, UberEats makes it easier to just bypass buffets, and to enter new dark patterns entirely.

Ha. Exactly. The light pattern is: you go for a walk, grab an apple off a tree, and eat it, slowly, while watching the clouds move spontaneously. The light patterns are cool, but we all secretly love the dark ones too. That's why they exist

• turtlebubble

silently starts planning all vegan soup and salad buffet

I used to love going to old country buffet with my grandparents! I’m surprised they didn’t mention kids & parents lying about their age to eat free. Also why tf is there always pudding at the salad bar?!

• SEnkey
        1 week ago

LOL!

Maybe cause pudding is so cheap it ups the margin?

1 week ago

silently starts planning all vegan soup and salad buffet

WHOA. YES.

Also why tf is there always pudding at the salad bar?!

Haha. This really needs an answer. Pudding might have slightly more forgiving refrigeration requirements.

Reading streakScribe

I found this article interesting. I’m primarily a vegetable eater, so buffets would make money on me. But I don’t go to them. I love a quiet dinner with my husband and much less food.

• jbuchana

The secrets of all-you-can-eat buffets.