1. Deep reading is screen time well spent.

Readup offers distraction-free reading and noise-cancelled comments, built by and for readers. The future is focus. The future is slow. Join us.

superorganizers.substack.com | Dan Shipper | 15 min
    9.0
    superorganizers.substack.com
    9.0
    • josescuderoh4 months ago

It’s incredible what you can do with a bit of coding and a lot of drive. If you think about it, most of what he did was reducing friction in learning by smoothing the processes of reading (kindle), note taking (Readwise), studying (Zettelkasten) and reviewing (Anki), all of this using everyday tech. Productivity is all about reducing friction. Inspiring!

• thorgalle
      Reading streakScout

Fascinating. I especially appreciate how he succeeded in making a complex knowledge system using just text files & auxiliary scripts! Only he can navigate it I guess.

The English language learning system made me smile too. Tackling the exact same problem has been my largest hobby project ever. I've also hacked a way to learn dictionary lookups from a Kindle (not highlights) with translations & context in vocabulary.com.

• BillEnkey4 months ago

I feel like most of us should have our own systematic approach for our own zettelkasten.

• thorgalle
        Reading streakScout

True! Posts like these are inspiring, but the systems they discuss are typically making some assumptions about the wants/needs of the creator.

Since I discovered Notion last October, it became my systematic base for "everything". I'm using it in some surprisingly similar ways (notes & inter-links), but also with plenty of different approaches.

• TripleG
      Reading streak

Brilliant system for learning and retaining.

Top reader this weekReading streakScout

Amazing read! @Sirupsen @danshipper

So he built an elaborate system to read, retain, and apply the lessons in hundreds of books. And he didn’t just read about infrastructure — he read literature, and scientific history; he read about politics, and philosophy.

Along the way he discovered that reading broadly was the best way to get to the bottom of things, and therefore the best way to get better at his job.

• vunderkind5 months ago

Simon Eskildsen will do well at Readup.

I honestly think he's an alien cyborg mutant.