Medium | Muhan Zhang | 4/30/20 | 10 min
    8.9
    Medium
    8.9
    • Florian6 months ago

Building a movement is a lot like a startup

A simple but impactful statement

Upvote.

• Florian6 months ago

“Upvote” ha... made me think. Here is a new feature idea for ReadUp: a button to VoteUp articles and comments ;)

Articles, no. But if you read the article, you should be able to upvote the comment, for sure. Right? Thing is, for now it’s still easy to read all the comments

• thorgalle
              Top reader this weekScribe

I 100% agree with the argument that this is not necessary yet. And after that, this is an interesting challenge: how to highlight quality comments while allowing space for new ones?

Next to Reddit, one worthy reference is Tweakers.net, an online Dutch tech community/news site since 1998. They have iterated on a custom comment rating system ( "-2" to "+3") while their community grew. Today, each article attracts between 50-1000 comments. Example article. Here is extensive documentation of the system (Google Translate to an Internet Archive page, click "Moderation System")

• Florian6 months ago

Good point. A reddit-style bubbling up of comments that are well liked could make sense

• Jim6 months ago

Inspiring.... I must admit the campaign is a success. I never heard of Yang, now I believe he has some interesting ideas.

Top reader this weekReading streakScout

I agree, with many before me, that the arc of history is long, and that it bends towards justice, but only if we make it so. Similarly, on the campaign, I would remark that people give us money to win, not to try.

• kurpels6 months ago

It’s nice to see home honesty/humanity in a campaign. I can’t imagine what a Bloomberg or Trump article in the same vein.

It's all just so damn impressive and inspiring. When you've achieved so much, you don't need to brag.

I want to hire this guy. His job would be to just keep writing about the Yang campaign (or whatever he wants to write about) and also Readup. Join us, Muhan! Help us promote deeper reading and better writing on the web! Such a 10.