1. Did you even read the article?

Readup tracks your reading progress. In our community, you can’t comment on articles you haven’t really read.

historytoday.com | 6 min
    9.3
    historytoday.com
    9.3
    • TripleG
      Reading streak

I do love punctuation like the interrobang that show the tone of a thought. I was shocked and appalled that my wife would write a story with virtually no punctuation! I also love the idea of a final stop when you’re sick of texting back and forth and want a graceful ending!

Reading streakScribe

Now really, does that last sentence require an exclamation point? Giving my husband anything to read that I had written was like giving it to a stern English professor. He got out his red pen and went to work. It would frustrate me because I felt my lack of punctuation really reflected my tone of voice, which is usually so full of exclamation points as to be distracting! This is a battle that has waged for 18 years but with great humor.

So much interesting history here. Punctuation is one of those things that's way too easy to take for granted. It's crazy to think of brackets or commas as the radical innovations that they were.

I'm not a fan of the interrobang, however, as I don't care for orthographic ligatures in general. Many programming fonts include ligatures as a feature, cramming multiple characters into a single glyph, such as >= to ≥ for "greater than or equal to." I've always felt they were an interesting concept but more difficult to decipher when reading.

This article also reminded me of my new favorite podcast, Lingthusiasm, which I highly recommend to anyone who is into this sort of stuff.

Reading streakScribe

I’m in for this podcast, sounds really interesting.

Reading streakScribe

I LOVE this article - so interesting! Some of the terminology is as fabulous as the graphics shown. My favorite is the “interrobang”, one I don’t use often, so you know I’m really perplexed if I do. I agree with the last paragraph and the trouble with a “full stop”. It would be cool to invent a new punctuation mark for this awkward situation. How about it Readup community, any takers?!

• Alexa

Love seeing the intersection of written words & speech as explored here. Humans communicate via words more than ever before (even while they read literature etc far less) and the impact on how we communicate has been really fascinating for me.