1. Stop feeding. Start reading.

Readup helps you spend more of your time and attention on deep, focused reading. We are a community of readers, writers and free-thinkers. Join us today!

The New York Times Company | Danya Issawi | 1/21/20 | 4 min
    7.9
    The New York Times Company
    7.9
    • Plum6 months ago

Dorothy Day is my hero. His story made me happy to think that her life and ideas are still being lived. I admire the writer and hope I can be a little more like him but you have to be so brave to avoid consuming!

I just made a note to read about Dorothy Day. I'm at the library right now, a few feet away from an Oscar Romero biography that looks quite tempting too ;)

• Plum6 months ago

Careful they might convert you!

Too late. Already there.

• jbuchana

This sounds like a good way to live if possible.

• Karenz6 months ago

I can see it getting more complicated once his fiancée is done medical school. If they want kids, then the need to consume just for practicalities really ramps up. She may get tired of doing all the purchasing thru her hard work. I personally think he’s amazing and cannot fathom wanting to live as he is, so kudos to him —and to her for being a support! I had years of Catholic training but it didn’t stick like his did!

• joanne6 months ago

Kudos to this guy. I’m trying not to use Amazon anymore. It’s so easy to over consume from the comfort of our living rooms. Mindfulness in what we truly need, where it comes from and how it gets to our front porch is key.

• aussak6 months ago

How can we adopt more of this mentality in our every day lives without giving up our careers and homes? A worthy effort.

Oh, also, my answer to your amazing question:

People. Relationships. Surround yourself with the kind of people and ideas that you want to grow, nurture, develop. I deeply connect with the way the author seems to find community with people who others would refer to as “lowly.”

Spirituality plays a role, for sure.

So worthy. Thanks for sharing. Just finished a few other beefy reads, but this little one might end up being the one that I think about the most today!