Slate Star Codex | 2/23/14 | 34 min
    9.7
    Slate Star Codex
    9.7
      Top reader this weekScribe
      1 week ago

Really inspiring article! I found the counter-arguments compelling and was curious about the person who initially criticized the author. Here's the third result Google returned: https://twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/1347119992462970880

Goes to show what embracing the dark side will do to your soul over time. Count me with the rationalists!

1. Update (1/8/2021):

Tweet was removed. Here's the archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20210107225836/https://twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/1347119992462970880

Top reader this weekTop reader of all timeScoutScribe
        1 week ago

🕵️‍♂️ Good sleuth

Top reader this weekScribe
          1 week ago

How disturbing are those tweets? Especially the replies. Is it strange that I'm so horrified by them? Like, I've spent enough time on 4chan to see some shit. But to embrace the vitriol of shitty teenagers trying to out-edge each other on an anonymous forum and spew the same kind of hatred as a 30+ year old man on a verified Twitter account just seems completely psychotic on a whole other level.

Really freaks me out. No wonder the author of Slate Star Codex is fearing for his safety at the thought of being doxxed by the NYTimes.

Top reader this weekTop reader of all timeScoutScribe
            1 week ago

You know you don’t have to tell me how scary the internet is.

Top reader this weekTop reader of all timeScoutScribe
      1 week ago

Writing like this brings me peace. This is so honest, clear, interesting and relatable:

When I was young and stupid, I used to believe that transgender was really, really dumb. That they were looking for attention or making it up or something along those lines.

We are not born with all of the information that we need to survive, let alone thrive. So it’s beyond obvious that we need to take time to hear alternate perspectives.

There’s a voice in my head that just keeps saying, “You’re not right. You don’t know.” I used to have to work hard to convince myself of this, but now it’s second nature. There is always evidence that we’re missing, perspectives we’re blind to. At this point, I just know that I don’t know. It doesn’t mean I’m not still trying to figure things out. (And of course I have opinions!) But things are complicated. And my perspective is just one perspective.

Also: People are good. More often than not.

• SEnkey
      1 week ago

A fascinating argument for liberalism. Well worth the read.

Top reader this weekScribe
        1 week ago

Great find! Really enjoyed this. Lots to think about.