Interview Magazine | 7/8/20 | 16 min
    9.9
    Interview Magazine
    9.9
    • mads4 months ago

Jia Tolentino has perfected the art of critiquing something with respect and hope for something better. I especially loved the juxtaposition of the MLK quote and Cardi B, drives home the point that the riots and protests are not new.

• joanne4 months ago

Love this! It gives me hope ... and a desire to get out on the streets.

Interesting interview, lots to consider. The interviewer asks “Where did we go wrong? Like, what was the exact moment?” Tolentino replies, “I don’t mean to be glib, but when the colonists laid claim to Native American land.”

I loved that part! My first thought (about the exact moment we went wrong) was easy, loud and clear: It was the middle of March (Middlemarch?) 2020 when Lockdown started. That’s when everything went haywire.

1. Update (7/13/2020):

Jia’s answer was better lol

• Alexa

Oh gosh, that line was epic. I expect we're going to start seeing far more people taking on colonialism in the next while. It's getting big with intersectional feminism & environmentalists, and usually when I see it being a major topic in certain fashion circles (like Simone Cipriani's platform) it starts to spill over into more mainstream convos not long after.

• Plum4 months ago

I love so much about this and want to read everything she has read and the part where she chooses Danny DeVito as her favorite celebrity made me want to be her friend

People don’t speak like this. It’s not possible. So it must have been a written interview. Right?

Loved it. Even the parts I hated. This is Jia Tolentino in Caroline Calloway mode. Those of us who love the writer live for these glimpses into her life. (Why do I need to know about her split ends? I don’t know. But I do.)

I think Oyler’s piece in LRB made Tolentino stronger because she now she seems to have chosen which rules she wants to follow and which ones she doesn’t care about. I love the way she demands a definition for true. She’s the best when she’s over the top. Hysterical. Last sentence is great.

• Alexa