1. The world's best reading app

Get started today. Pick any price for unlimited, ad-free reading.

• Jessica
      1 month ago

One day as I unsuccessfully tried to keep a production day “on schedule,” I finally realized that my best bet was simply to turn the cameras off and go see whether anyone needed help in the camp kitchen. Those hours of carrot-peeling and potato-chopping with the community helped me get into a much more fruitful rhythm of friendship-building and did more for “allyship” than any filmmaking skill I could have offered that day.

Really love this snippet on how community and relationships are formed through the [small] choices we make in each moment, perhaps stepping outside of our usual habit or role.

This article strongly reminds me of Robin Wall Kimmerer’s Braiding Sweetgrass. That book is a gem, and I think you would enjoy it if you resonate with this article.

• Plum1 month ago

Chief Caleen Sisk, Pom’s mother and the current Winnemem Wintu tribal chief, likes to say: “We need to get ready for good things coming”

I love this. I am trying to learn from indigenous wisdom for all the reasons in this piece and that quote! Words to live by.

• TripleG
      Reading streak
      1 month ago

We need to make nature and the outdoors our home way more than just 10 percent of the time.

• DellwoodBarker
      1 month ago

Essential, Important Read. Always appreciate these reminders.

• EZ19691 month ago

Such a great perspective on not just preserving indigenous culture, but understanding how it can help save our earth.

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      1 month ago

A ten! Love every word in this article. Vital life precepts to live by.