1. Deep reading is screen time well spent.

Readup offers distraction-free reading and noise-cancelled comments, built by and for readers. The future is focus. The future is slow. Join us.

washingtonpost | Carl Goldman | 2/28/20 | 6 min
    9.3
    washingtonpost
    9.3
    • thorgalle

Corona is a super serious matter. But it's good to read how a 60-something experienced having the disease: he wasn't too stressed.

• Ksabey5 months ago

Headlines sell...good or bad Unfortunately that’s the world we live in.

• vunderkind5 months ago

Some chill news in the face of all the panic. Love this man.

• jbuchana

I suspect that the vast majority of people who develop this illness won't actually have it much worse than the author.

• Abarlet5 months ago

Thank you for this dose of reality. A thermometer and some ibuprofen. Doesn’t sound like the zombie apocalypse.

• annie5 months ago

Dose of reality, indeed. I think warnings about life being majorly disrupted are being translated as "we're all going to die" when it's really "if you get this virus, you might have to quarantine yourself for two weeks, so prepare for that!"

• Jank5 months ago

Very chill dude.

• justinzealand5 months ago

Overseas at the moment, and it’s interesting to see the US take on a recognition of the threat from media reports. I agree the media has it overhyped, but for all the folks at high risk that might fall prey, glad they are taking it seriously. Last thing I want to do is be a contagion to my family. If I had a fever when I arrive stateside I would accept quarantine

• Karenz5 months ago

I was happy to hear on CNN that kids aren’t at risk with this virus unless there’s a pre-existing condition. Elders especially with a pre-existing condition or on immuno-suppressants are the most at risk. I wonder if I were on home quarantine, if I could order takeout and have the delivery person leave it on my stoop! People are stock piling canned food-yuk!

Top reader this weekReading streakScribe

Ha, I love this! An inadvertent upside to our increasingly isolated lives. With delivery drivers in hazmat suits we could all stay comfortably quarantined indefinitely!

• Karenz5 months ago

Exactly, Jeff! Also, no need to cook!

• chrissetiana
      Top reader this week

I like how he has narrated this. Makes one hopeful. The prepper in me has calmed down a bit.

• VJV5 months ago

I was never scared of this “epidemic”. This article is exactly what I thought it would be, an account of a disruptive bug. Taylor Swift, “you need to calm down; you’re being too loud” sings in my head.

Top reader this weekReading streakScout

The epitome of resilience!

Top reader this weekReading streakScribe

What a crazy experience. I was surprised to read elsewhere that the Spanish Flu which killed tens of millions of people in 1918 had a case fatality rate of only 2-3%. Even if the vast majority of individual cases are mild like this one the potential global impact could still be huge.

• Jessica5 months ago

I also watch the news. It’s surreal to see everyone panic — news conferences, the stock market falling, school closures — about a disease I have. It does seem likely that coronavirus will spread in the United States, but it won’t help anybody if we all panic.

He’s much calmer than so many folks I know who have developed deep, deep paranoia about the virus from too much news exposure. Keep doing things that keep the immune system strong - that most definitely includes taking care of mental health and not being wrapped up in paranoia, causing life stagnation!