1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

• Pennyforyourthoughts2 weeks ago

Content of the article is informative and provides a great glimpse into some inspiring people who has lived and navigated very different lives than me. But I gotta say I loathe the clickbaity title - the content deserves a better headline.

• thorgalle

I agree! This is reoccurring on Readup: people calling out a bad title of an otherwise good read. Luckily, the # of reads (to completion), rating, and comments provide additional info besides the title to evaluate a read before reading :) Glad to have you here! Cool reader name too 👌

• thorgalle
      1 month ago

I get that there might be feelings of resentment towards the “free college” inmates may receive, but even beyond ideological dispute of fairness, these are pragmatic numbers for society:

The average annual cost for each person in a New York prison is $69,000, by state data, and about 40% of offenders return to custody within three years of release. The Bard Prison Initiative says its college program costs about $9,000 for each student yearly, and its alumni’s recidivism rate is less than 4%.

More broadly, equal access to college would be a good thing. It’s Scandinavia’s secret sauce.

• TinaCamera4 weeks ago

Absolutely. It’s a lot of countries’ secret sauce. Any anger about free college tuition should be directed to the federal government for national higher education reform. Not prison education programs that help inmates get back on their feet and prevent recidivism.

• turtlebubble
      1 month ago

Can’t wait to see the doc! “College Behind Bars”

1 month ago

Me either, this is a great story!

1 month ago

Great find! Thanks for posting!

1 month ago

This is such an uplifting and positive model for prisons to follow. Love the entire premise of educating and providing platforms such as debates to further encourage an individuals capacity to change and evolve. I have always believed that prisons should be about rehabilitation. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I can’t wait to see the documentary as Ken Burns is the master.