1. The world's best reading app

Get started today. Pick any price for unlimited, ad-free reading.

• DellwoodBarker
      1 month ago

This brings to mind Upload on Amazon Prime.

• dennispipper1 month ago

Eye opening portrait of the international dating industry

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      1 month ago

Disappointing all the way around.

• Plum1 month ago

So strange. Hard to say who is the victim in these situations

• Jessica
      1 month ago

Reading this gave me the chills. I appreciate the author closing with something more uplifting about the kindness and respect for different cultures that transcend country borders… it does exist!

Years after that, when I started working in journalism, I met some wonderful American men who came to Ukraine for the country, not for the women, and ended up finding true love. Unlike Tom, they fell in love with our nation first. They studied the culture, learned the language. I am rooting for men like my foreign friends, who see their Ukrainian spouses as partners worthy of their own careers and lives, not young sex dolls.

• thorgalle
      Scribe
      1 month ago

What a testimonial! Reminds me of a docu I once saw on a Russian “marriage school”, where women were taught how to be desirable to (future) husbands; so they could “aim high”.

That’s weird, but in this internet case it’s worse, the (wo)man-in-the-middle plays out the desirability, and the real marriage-seeking woman has no clue who she’s getting into. A perverse business.

“I was done with the industry after Bob. Otherwise, I was sure I would be done with men.”

Yes wow. This must have an impact, seeing the worst of sexist desire all day. Maybe a bit like the social media content moderator job.