Vice15 min
    9.0
    Vice
    9.0
      1 month ago

I’m a HUGE fan of parapsychology. So many interesting books on the subject. My first was Many Lives, Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss. He was a psychiatrist who had a patient talk about her past life traumas while under hypnosis. As a prominent scientist he was really resistant to such “nonsense” but eventually could not deny the remarkable journey he was drawn into. A page turner for sure. Life After Life was another great book by Dr. Raymond Moody that chronicles the near death experiences of his patients. And now we have Quantum Physics that is the bridge between the scientific and spiritual worlds. We are living in really interesting times!

• SEnkey
        1 month ago

I read Life After Life as well! I'll have to chekc out Many Live, Many Masters. I definitely agree with the sentiment French expressed that we should study and document these things - we'll either come to understand something amazing, or we'll better understand some concepts we have right now.

1 month ago

I think you’ll find Many Lives Many Masters a fascinating read because it is written by someone who did not believe in reincarnation at all. I hope you enjoy it.

• Florian1 month ago

It's an academic interest and these are experiences that human beings have reported across different times and across cultures, and we really need to try and understand all aspects of human experience

I like this approach

• SEnkey
        1 month ago

Agreed!

• DellwoodBarker
      1 month ago

Ryan’s behavior of shutting down the past life aspect of his being after the tv episode on him and his fam and Marty aired is really fascinating to me.

• Karenz1 month ago

To me, too! He likely got a lot of ribbing in school. At least that’s my guess. I found this interesting but did not find the science very “hard.”

Top reader this weekTop reader of all timeReading streakScout
          1 month ago

I found this interesting but did not find the science very “hard.”

Exactly how I felt! Enjoyable article but I feel like Christopher French has the right idea about all this. It's a good idea to keep asking questions, but putting a bunch of nonsense into a database doesn't turn it in to hard science.

• Karenz1 month ago

Thanks, Jeff! I value your opinion of what is and isn’t science!!

1 month ago

Very interesting.

For humans, “life” is a word we use to describe what happens between birth and death. But consciousness exists before and after that time. At the very least, it’s impossible to deny that unborn fetuses are semi-sentient and that many people have had “back from the dead” experiences which are credible and measurable. Meanwhile, we are surrounded by other forms of life — in the dirt below our feet, the air we breathe, etc. — so it seems wise to examine “paranormal” activity as a way to better understand the blurry edges of our existence.

Whatever I am, I know I didn’t “start” on July 11, 1987 (my birthday) and I know I’m not “done” when I take my last human breath. I’m not sure that coding reincarnation stories into a database will get me closer to an answer, but it’s still very refreshing to know that some scientists are brave enough to use their tools and skills to take a plunge into the real unknown.

• EZ19691 month ago

Really interesting. I’ve wondered many times about past lives - the feeling you get when you deeply connect with someone and the sense you somehow knew them before.