• chrissetiana
      Top reader this weekTop reader of all time

So with all of this, embrace the confusion, embrace the ‘what if,’ and always keep your chin up. Accept the bitter truth even if it hurts, and make a good playlist so you can jam it out afterwards.

• thorgalle
      Scribe

From the title I thought this was going to be a story about the corona hardships in high school (missed the date!), but I was clearly wrong.

A piece full of energy and willingness to live. Inspiring! Maybe even for corona-time high school students now!

I definitely know the meaning of ‘don’t spread yourself too thin,’ even though I will probably continue to do so. (I have always liked challenges.)

This was written by a high school senior in 2018, Langley, who is now in college and recently emailed me about doing an internship with Readup.

This piece really floored me. There are some very deep truths in here, and profoundly beautiful imagery to boot. It's clear and honest.

There is a place at Readup (several places, actually) for people who can write like this. Langley, join us in the comments! Welcome!!

• joanne2 weeks ago

Wow! ReadUp found a real gem. Amazing insight from a teenager. One with a lot of experiences and a wisdom that you don’t usually find in high schoolers. Langley, enjoy your internship, can’t wait to hear more from you.

• leverettt2 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing this. It is ironic that I wrote this as a senior in high school, and now that I am a senior in college, reading it again is like coming full circle. These ideas still ring true for me today, although I can definitely see areas that I would like to stress or change. Growth is not linear... Thank for you for the lovely comments!

• EZ19692 weeks ago

Langley, what a voice you have, what a wonderful sense of adventure. I’m so glad to have you with us.

• kellyalysia

Agreed with the comments. You will do well in life with not only this writing skill but this grounded and coherent perspective. Welcome:)

• Plum2 weeks ago

“....continue to disillusion myself with the notion that I truly do know how to use a switchblade” Welcome to Read Up, Langley! I wish you had been my friend in high school!

• Jessica

Langley, this is such poetic writing and so deeply relatable. Thank you for sharing your work with the world, and welcome to Readup!

• bartadamley
      Top reader this weekScout

Great reflective writing. By all means if you can write at this level as a high schooler, the future of your prose will only be better.

You had me at the bit about making a playlist when dealing with a hard truth. I think a lot of us can relate to that. Music is a marvelous way to deal with tough truths.

Welcome to Readup Langley.

Incredible that at your age you have a profound sense of self worth and to say no without explanation - that’s impressive! I love your openness, your willingness to share yourself, your ideas, your passionate energy. Welcome indeed! Look forward to more revelations!