1. The world's best reading app

Get started today. Pick any price for unlimited, ad-free reading.

thenewatlantis.comTaylor Dotson20 min
    9.0
    thenewatlantis.com
    9.0
      Reading streakScoutScribe
      1 month ago

Absolute must read in my opinion! I really love this analysis. Scientism and conspiracism really capture what's going on right now. Wasn't there a South Park episode from forever ago about a post-religious society far in the future where everyone was still at war with each other about whose science was the true science?

1. Update (8/19/2021):

Found a clip from that episode! I forgot how incredibly ridiculous this episode was and also how incredibly on-point and predictive it was of our future: https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/b4pd1g/south-park-atheists-plan-to-go-to-war

• Karenz
        Scribe

I think a perfect example of what this article is discussing is the question of who gets to say what “systemic racism” is and whether or not it is in fact a part of our culture. From my experience, most liberals assume systemic racism is a fact but there’s also a part of our society that feels it is not and they are called racist just for having this differing belief. These divides go so deep and we sure can’t seem to connect across the divide! There is a dearth of true listening on both sides.

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      1 month ago

Beyond a 10 - truly an important read. To be able to understand and discern the language and effects of this overwhelming pandemic is healing in and of itself. The suggestions offered going forward, the reassurance I needed for some sane and rational guidance. Benjamin Barber has defined “strong democratic talk” as “incorporating listening as well as speaking, feeling as well as thinking and acting as well as reflecting.” Dahl and Lindblom further offer “a need for democracies to foster mutual learning and accept the inescapability of disagreement.” There is so much here that needs deep consideration.

• SEnkey1 month ago

I really appreciate those ideas too. "My study" or "my expert" doesn't end an argument, it's just one more thing to respectfully weigh. A subject matter expert can give you insightful information, they can't make decisions about trade offs for us, and they can't speak outside their field. I trust a mechanic to tell me when a car needs fixing and how to do it, I don't trust him to tell me where that fits into my budget - those trade off decisions I have to make.

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
          1 month ago

Love the analogy, great point!

• [user]1 month ago

This comment was deleted on 9/17/2021

• SEnkey1 month ago

Worth the read! A timely piece for our troubled times.

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
        1 month ago

Hey, thanks for coming to my rescue! Sanity amongst the doublespeak! Truly appreciated - great find!