1. We are a community of readers. Join us!

    Readup is a social reading platform. No ads. No distractions. No liking or upvotes. We help you pay attention to what matters: reading.

    The New Yorker | Masha Gessen | 7/21/20 | 6 min
    28 reads6 comments
    9.3
    The New Yorker
    28 reads
    9.3
    PadlockYou must read the article before you can post or reply.
    • sjwoo
      Scribe
      2 weeks ago

      If Trump loses and leaves, 99.9% likelihood he'll leave a steaming pile of poop on the Oval Desk.

    • SEnkey
      Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      2 weeks ago

      I read this article in 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016 - it never turns out. It's true that our nation is very divided, and we aren't sharing facts or reality - but the vast majority of people, the military, the federal bureaucracy, the judges, will never support a president staying too long. There is a zero percent chance that Thomas would swear in Trump if the election were still in question.

      There is also a small chance Fox News would call the election too early. The fox news reporting/hard news side is very different from their opinion side. Hannity and Tucker Carlson and whoever else is slotted in there now will call the election an hour in, but the Chris Wallace and Bret Baier team wont do it.

      On the bright side, none of this seems necessary as of now. Biden is up by considerable margins nationally, but more importantly for the electoral college he is up quite a bit in the swing states. He is up above 8% in NC, Michigan, PA, Minnesota, and up 7% in Ohio and I think more than 10% up in Florida. Florida! I'm hoping come November this will be a total non issue.

      • bill
        Top reader of all timeScoutScribe
        2 weeks ago

        Lolol. I love this comment. Especially the first sentence.

        I’m with you like 90%. The other 10% of me is like: No, because look at the world right now! It‘s legit unraveling right before our eyes. And even if there’s only a 1% chance that things go truly haywire, that’s still nuts! Maybe Trump has some weird idea in his head that he wants some long protracted legal battle into next spring. His ego? The current Supreme Court? Really anything is possible.

        But also: Totally we’re chill. ✌️

    • Florian
      Reading streak
      2 weeks ago

      And let us not forget,” Douglas writes, “that guns in this country remain in profuse supply and are largely concentrated in the hands of the president’s most fervent, distrustful, and easily unsettled supporters.

      Yup!

    • Pegeen
      Scribe
      2 weeks ago

      Guaranteed to be interesting.

    • jbuchana
      Scout
      2 weeks ago

      Let's hope that it doesn't come to this...