The New YorkerVladimir Nabokov5/8/4812 min
    9.9
    The New Yorker
    9.9
    • leverettt6 days ago

favorite line: “the incalculable amount of tenderness contained in the world; of the fate of this tenderness, which is either crushed or wasted, or transformed into madness; of neglected children humming to themselves in unswept corners; of beautiful weeds that cannot hide from the farmer” I mean… this is just gorgeous

• DellwoodBarker
      Top reader this weekReading streakScribe
      1 week ago

This is the kind of read I have been missing on here lately!

Excellent! 10!

• Karenz6 days ago

This is so sad and disturbing. The phone calls echo that.

Reading streakScoutScribe

Great writing is timeless. It was almost like watching a movie!

• sjwoo1 week ago

What a find -- Nabokov is always worth reading, and this is no exception. Though I must say, TNY needs proofreaders!

could he seen lying supine on an untidy bed.

of the in visible giants

I'm guessing they OCRed this and didn't go for a proofing pass.

My favorite line:

living does mean accepting the loss of one joy after another

The ugly truth...

The end almost reminds me of Raymond Carver's "The Bath," where the baker makes that nasty phone call.

Reading streakScoutScribe
          1 week ago

Ah, writers tend to pick that up like a dentist sees gingivitis!!! I guess I just was so wrapped up in the story I made the corrections automatically. I’m thrilled everyone seems to have enjoyed it. I was blown away by the details and actually feeling like I was there - amazing!

• sjwoo1 week ago

Yes, I'm afraid it comes with the territory. :) It is really a great story -- whenever I think of the most talented fiction writer who ever lived, Nabokov is my pick, no question. And to think English was his second language...!

• SEnkey
        1 week ago

This just sent me down a delightful rabbit hole of papers written on this little story. Thank you for posting!

Reading streakScoutScribe
          1 week ago

Hey, so glad you enjoyed your rabbit hole adventure! This was my first time reading this. I loved it.

• DellwoodBarker
            Top reader this weekReading streakScribe
            1 week ago

I third the Gratitude.

• elioty1 week ago

Heartbreaking

• thorgalle
      Scribe
      1 week ago

The ending 😨 It's open, but also not.

• BillEnkey1 week ago