1. Deep reading is screen time well spent.

Readup offers distraction-free reading and noise-cancelled comments, built by and for readers. The future is focus. The future is slow. Join us.

The New Yorker | Helen Rosner | 2/27/20 | 6 min
    9.3
    The New Yorker
    9.3
    • thorgalle1 month ago

One more reason to visit Japan at some point!

• sjwoo1 month ago

There's a Japanese grocery chain called Mitsuwa that's in a few cities that I'm fairly certain carries this "fruit" (in quotes because it really isn't eaten like a fruit!).

1 month ago

This was inspiring. I wish I read this before I went to the grocery store today. I’ve been eating such plain food these last few months. Good food writing always makes me want to be a little bit more adventurous in the kitchen.

• TripleG
      Reading streak
      1 month ago

Can’t wait to try a little in a gin and tonic!

• Plum1 month ago

Jeff Kready said it but I have to say it again “wonderment paralysis”

Reading streakScoutScribe

OMG, I almost wrote the word captivating and then saw it already used by Jeff - hilarious - but true! I was riveted by this article and I am in no way a “foodie.” And I would love to try this. I wish I could be more inventive in my cooking, even with just fresh herbs - but that ship has sailed. Or has it? I would need a seriously easy, simple cookbook to give me ideas. I love all things vegetables - any suggestions? Nothing rare or difficult - simple.

Top reader this weekReading streakScribe

Captivating! I really want to try this fruit and I'm glad the author was able to make some progress on her wonderment paralysis. A fantastic name for a very real problem.

• turtlebubble

I had no idea the fresh fruit was so rare! Definitely going to be on the lookout now.