1. Did you even read the article?

Readup tracks your reading progress. In our community, you can’t comment on articles you haven’t really read.

The New Yorker | Bill McKibben | 3/20/20 | 5 min
    9.3
    The New Yorker
    9.3
      Reading streakScribe
      1 week ago

We can NOT go back to “business as usual.” The greed and self interest is sickening. We must change or face the consequences of our hedonistic ways.

1 week ago

With ya. The Great Awakening is arriving.

I still dig hedonism, but only when it’s not hurting others. (Perhaps that’s not hedonism?) Maybe “wilderness hedonistic” is the way to go. In nature, it’s not really possible to “overdo” things. Under a waterfall, you can take as long of a shower as you want. The longer the better - for you and the waterfall!

• Alexa

This is much needed, time to stop enforcing more of the same and think bigger. This is a huge disruption that will let us really shake things up for the better, if we choose to. I'd hate to see us fall right back to "business as usual" after this.

I vote to dissolve the federal government! #dissolve just make the all the states countries. now's the time.

• Alexa

I support this, my entire state would be perfect for going solo. Would sure simplify trying to elect leaders that matched regional desires and make people play nicer in the sandbox for interstate trade. I like where your heads at Bill!

No executive branch. No president. Perfect. We can obviously survive that. (It often feels like we're currently surviving that.)

No supreme court. No problem. States already have their own supreme courts.

No Congress. Thank Christ! Again, states already have their own governing/law-making/budgeting bodies.

The political stuff that I used to care about (ending the two-party gridlock, gerrymandering, corruption, bureaucracy, etc.) doesn't seem solvable fast enough without a huge solution.

Globally, our collective power would rise. But it would be more broadly distributed across the entire US population. Fewer individuals would have the power to speak on behalf of everyone. That's what we need right now. Federal institutions that wish to survive can spin-off into entities that look more like non-profits or the UN - fund yourself and let states opt-in, or buzz off.

None of this would be hard. It really comes down to whether or not society is willing to let go of the Constitution. Let's. Be. Done. With. It! I love the idea of individual states refurbishing their own individual Constitutions in preparation to become countries. Lol Lets do it!! Gogogogo!!

• Alexa

HAHAHAHA, yep.

The challenge is to let go of the safety blanket the constitution has become, and the people invested in making big $$$ off the way things are now. I'm ready for some big shakeups like these, they all look good to me.

Let's do it! *Fake-Sponsored by Readup Bill for un-president 2020 😂

lolol. ok so now i have a new life mission. I want my gravestone to say: Ended the USA

• orezmai2 weeks ago

Moving to Singapore

Because of something you read on Readup?

New Yorker coverage of Coronavirus is all free, so I'm probably going to gobble it all up.

My first thought on this article: I really wish that the world's biggest thinkers were thinking even bigger.