1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

The Hustle1/25/209 min
    7.8
    The Hustle
    7.8
    • loundytampa1 year ago

“All you can eat” has never interested me , not for one second. Good read though , I can believe how much of a decline the “buffet industry” is on, I like to hear it , and if I really think about it - I’m really not that surprised.

• sjwoo
      1 year ago

“There are people who go to a buffet and eat for 3 or 4 hours straight”

Goodness...I think I'm gonna be sick...!

Top reader of all timeScout
        1 year ago

Haha. Humans are strange animals! I love how many wild ways there are to complete the sentence: “There are people who...”

• BetSheWet1 year ago

Nice read. The ultimate was my high school power lifting team going to a buffet after starving ourselves for weigh-in... they lost a lot those days

Top reader of all timeScout
        1 year ago

Haha. A while ago I met some hikers on the Appalachian Trail who did all-you-can-eat buffets in trail towns every few days, and basically didn’t eat anything else. Same idea. When you’re going hog wild like that, there’s no way the buffet isn’t losing money.

“Beating the system” always feels good.

• vunderkind
      1 year ago

Dark patterns. Dark patterns everywhere.

Top reader of all timeScout
        1 year ago

Hahahaha. Yes! Darker than dark.

“A buffet is just like life itself; you have so many choices,” she says. “It’s up to you to choose wisely.”

You can also choose to just opt-out entirely.

• walkdog11211 year ago

Gotta say, Ive eaten at my fair-share of all you can eat buffets with different sports teams. ‘Dark’ is the opposite at how we look at these beacons of hope and light! The food is objectively low quality, but you rarely will stroll to one of these food havens for that perfectly seared ahi tuna steak. True hunger is about the only thing that will be satiated.

Top reader of all timeScout
            1 year ago

So so true! Great points. This comment reminds me that I’ve actually had a ton of great buffet experiences, almost always with groups. And often while traveling. “Beacon of hope and light” cracked me up.

I guess even a place like Jack in the Box can be a beacon of hope and light - but it depends on your frame of mind, not to mention toxicity levels. We’ve all been there. Anyway, my motto (still) is: Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

• walkdog11211 year ago

Would you mind if I adopt that brilliant motto? I will be sure to cite you every time, Bill!

Top reader of all timeScout

It's all yours, friend! 🎁

• joanne1 year ago

• vunderkind
          1 year ago

Mercifully, UberEats makes it easier to just bypass buffets, and to enter new dark patterns entirely.

Top reader of all timeScout
            1 year ago

Ha. Exactly. The light pattern is: you go for a walk, grab an apple off a tree, and eat it, slowly, while watching the clouds move spontaneously. The light patterns are cool, but we all secretly love the dark ones too. That's why they exist

• turtlebubble

silently starts planning all vegan soup and salad buffet

I used to love going to old country buffet with my grandparents! I’m surprised they didn’t mention kids & parents lying about their age to eat free. Also why tf is there always pudding at the salad bar?!

• SEnkey1 year ago

LOL!

Maybe cause pudding is so cheap it ups the margin?

Top reader of all timeScout

silently starts planning all vegan soup and salad buffet

WHOA. YES.

Also why tf is there always pudding at the salad bar?!

Haha. This really needs an answer. Pudding might have slightly more forgiving refrigeration requirements.

Reading streakScoutScribe
      1 year ago

I found this article interesting. I’m primarily a vegetable eater, so buffets would make money on me. But I don’t go to them. I love a quiet dinner with my husband and much less food.

• jbuchana1 year ago

The secrets of all-you-can-eat buffets.