The Atlantic | Arthur C. Brooks | 2/11/21 | 6 min
    9.3
    The Atlantic
    9.3
      Reading streakScoutScribe
      1 week ago

Wow, I have to say, this was a surprisingly good article. I also happen to agree with it. I’ve always taken it slow with men, getting to know them first, becoming friends. And I love the restraint involved when the feelings begin to shift and it’s obvious that there’s so much more to be discovered and enjoyed. Delayed gratification is hot!

• DellwoodBarker
        Top reader this weekScribe
        1 week ago

✨I give this comment 5 Stars✨

Reading streakScoutScribe
          6 days ago

Hilarious!

• Jessica
        6 days ago

“Delayed gratification is hot” yes!!! Agree!!

Reading streakScoutScribe
          6 days ago

Awesome!

• Plum6 days ago

I loved this article but liked the comments even more.

• jayvidya6 days ago

“the secret to happiness isn’t falling in love; it’s staying in love.”

• EZ19691 week ago

I love this article. It rings sweet and true.

• Karenz6 days ago

That’s because your parents, married over 50 years and surviving one breakup, have been best friends since the 4th grade!!!

• sjwoo1 week ago

Goddamn, that's Nietzsche's quote? I guess it makes sense. It's romantically utilitarian.

• Florian
      Reading streak
      1 week ago

falling in love is the start-up cost for happiness—an exhilarating but stressful stage we have to endure to get to the relationships that actually fulfill us.

This is clever and made me think of you, @Bill :)

• kellyalysia1 week ago

I’ve always held judgment over the term companionate love (sounds sexless and like a life of convenience, two people afraid to challenge each other or grow outside of their comfort zone) but this casts it in a different light.

• TripleG
      Reading streakScout
      1 week ago

I love that last line:and then hers, I pray, will be the face I see as I draw my last breath—her image one substance with my soul.

• DellwoodBarker
      Top reader this weekScribe
      1 week ago

Beautiful Read.

Having just woke up about an hour ago from a dream of a kind of Marshall law in urban setting and civilians throwing bombs in underground concrete bunkers. Odd. The explosion woke me...

This is a Wonderful Read to ease back under the covers after having read.

But these habits pale in comparison with one big one: The most important predictors of late-life happiness are stable relationships—and, especially, a long romantic partnership. The healthiest participants at age 80 tend to have been most satisfied in their relationships at age 50.

🚣🏽🌝 zzzzzzZ Back Across Moon River Zzzzzzz 🌝🚣🏽