The Atlantic | Joe Pinsker | 3/7/19 | 9 min
    8.2
    The Atlantic
    8.2
    • marius1 month ago

I don’t eat lunch so in this way I have the same lunch every day. It makes life less complicated. However I think variety and seasonality should be a goal to strive for - listen to your body and get what’s in season and fresh :)

1 month ago

Wait what!? So you just have breakfast and dinner w no snack between?

• marius3 weeks ago

Yes and sometimes only dinner. Enormous benefits look for intermittent fasting of time restricted eating.

Reading streakScribe
        1 month ago

I agree with seasonality and I do get variety within my choices for salad ingredients. We have local farmer markets that come each week and set up at a specific location so we can buy directly from them. They also provide a section in our supermarkets that are from the local farms. I feel very grateful for the choices we have, especially during such challenging times.

• jmed1 month ago

I found this article really amazing. As a researcher of food studies, I see that our relationship with food is changing - and it can be very problematic.

• chrissetiana
      Top reader this week
      1 month ago

Actually. Thinking about these things can get really tiring. Clothes, food, etc. I found that making lists to rotate weekly (to avoid the hassle without being too monotonous) works for me—most of the time.

Reading streakScribe
        1 month ago

Yes, having a repertoire in your food and clothing and rotating them works perfectly. Keeping it simple - love it.

1 month ago

Thoroughly enjoyable read! I'll stick with meals for months or years, but like many in the article I make slight adjustments to keep things interesting while still reaping the benefits of the repetition. Switching up condiments and seasonings can really change the taste of a dish without having to learn a new recipe or significantly alter the regular shopping list. I've also found that just toggling between two different options every other day works great, too.

1 month ago

Love this. Lots to think about. I’m a free-for-all eater and my life is a free-for-all. 🤪

Reading streakScribe
      1 month ago

I am one of those people who eats the same thing everyday - coffee and a green drink for breakfast, a vegan protein shake for lunch and lots of vegetables with a protein for dinner. My go to dinner out is sautéed broccoli or mixed greens with grilled chicken or salmon. I don’t seek variety or new restaurants. When I find a place that has what I like, I tend to frequent that establishment often. Homemade soups add variety and feels like an act of love since that is one of my husbands favorite dishes. He is my second husband and has missed out on my earlier, more adventurous and creative cooking. Having young children, I was dedicated to making sure they got quality nutrition and plenty of variety. I’m done with that part of my life. Now I want simple and nutritious with very little effort!