1. The world's best reading app

Get started today. Pick any price for unlimited, ad-free reading.

The AtlanticScott Barry Kaufman8/18/215 min
    9.6
    The Atlantic
    9.6
    • Jessica
      1 month ago

Really enjoyed this article and all the links to what may be additional thought-provoking reads! I always appreciate a dose of Viktor Frankl.

Part of being human is that we will forget our past suffering and start to take our current life for granted. But as Nelson notes, “The work is to remember more often than we forget.”

🙏

• Karenz
        Scribe
        1 month ago

I had never heard the term “toxic positivity” but I’ve sure felt what it means when someone has tossed it my way in the middle of a crisis. Ouch!!! Terrific read and now that term, “toxic positivity” is in my lexicon!!!

• DellwoodBarker
      1 month ago

Excellent.

But as Nelson notes, “The work is to remember more often than we forget.”

Imagining this quote should be used carefully so as to not slip into toxic nostalgia…healthy remembering is 👌. Also healthy to forget in balance.

• thorgalle
        Reading streakScoutScribe
        1 month ago

A very valid point! No sense in idolizing the past. I think it is a bias of us humans to mostly remember the good parts from our past. But then again, the sentence before this one was:

Maybe, remembering where we came from, the challenges we faced (and overcame, or not?) might be humbling. We may feel that we've dealt with hardship before, and we can do so again. But it's difficult. I suppose writing helps.

• gorillasaurus1 month ago

Powering through. Seeing beauty and meaning in every situation.

Combination of stoicism and many other things I guess.

1 month ago

Fabulous read! You brought the light today!

• thorgalle
        Reading streakScoutScribe
        1 month ago

Today I am grateful to see a gorillasaurus scout! 🦖Seeing beauty and meaning in every situation: YES.

I'm also grateful for the privileged situation I had throughout the pandemic. Articles like these certainly make me feel that. The existential gratitude thought sounds a bit daunting though, like answering the question "overall, do you like living?". No would be a troublesome answer 🤔

1 month ago

A MUST read! Too many lines to quote but here’s my favorite: “Gratitude is not just a switch to turn on when things go well; it’s also a light that shines in the darkness.”

• Florian
      Reading streakScoutScribe
      1 month ago

Love this:

Until we realize that things might not be, we cannot realize that things are

• thorgalle
      Reading streakScoutScribe
      1 month ago

Telling someone to “stay positive” in the middle of a global crisis is missing out on an opportunity for growth, not to mention likely to backfire and only make them feel worse.

A perfect elaboration on this can be found in an other The Atlantic article by Arthur C. Brooks; "Those Who Share a Roof Share Emotions".

“Until we realize that things might not be, we cannot realize that things are.”

Here's one quote to save!

• Jessica
        1 month ago

That quote made me pause for a moment to let it sink in. Definitely a quote to save!