The AtlanticArthur C. Brooks4/29/217 min
    9.5
    The Atlantic
    9.5
      Top reader of all timeReading streakScout
      5 days ago

For example, you might write “Goof off” on your planner from 1:30 to 2 p.m. tomorrow. Since goofing off is no longer an uninvited guest in your schedule, it doesn’t throw off your rhythm, and your odds of being back to work at 2 rise dramatically.

Plenty of good advice and insight in this article, but does anybody actually do this? If I'm in the zone at 1:30 there's no way I'm interrupting myself for a scheduled break. Similarly if I'm exhausted after finishing a block of work at any given time that's when I actually want and need to rest or take a break.

• thorgalle
        Scribe
        3 days ago

This really resonates here. And then there ‘s the extra problem that when you miss one part of the schedule because of this reason, it’s easier to discard the while schedule. Timeboxing is really hard to combine with flow (and so is sleep lol).

• EZ19694 days ago

I am a serial volunteer. My best advice for not spending time on things you don't like is to watch out or what you volunteer for. Be choosy. You'll really enjoy the satisfaction of lending a hand when the unpaid work brings you joy.

• Jessica
        4 days ago

This is great advice and got me thinking.

• SEnkey
        4 days ago

Well said. I think it was Covey who said that way to say no to things is to find the deeper burning yes for something else.

• kellyalysia
      4 days ago

I recently started a job in which I'm making the highest hourly wage I've ever made in my life, and it's consequently compelled me to value my "me" / pleasure time so much more. When I go for my morning walk, it really does feel like it "costs" me that time, but I also feel like the ROI is directly in proportion because I'm so immersed in the activity and I so look forward to it. The dividends are directly in relation. So I definitely appreciate this take on looking at your time-value. Also what a great AOTD for such a day for Readup!!

• SEnkey
        4 days ago

Congrats on moving up the scale! I find walks to be a valuable activity as well.

• monstertuck
      4 days ago

I try to time block but generally have to give up some time in those blocks to meet new demands or unforeseen priorities that could not be planned for. I see lots of companies trying this in different ways.

• Jessica
      1 week ago

we humans also, perplexingly, waste plenty of time doing things we already know we don’t want to do.

It is very recently that I've come to accept that I am very lousy at predicting what makes me happy. I can cognitively guess what decisions or things would make future me happy, but I am often so wrong. I've been thinking of tracking my moments of joy and what my circumstances were, as a personal experiment to actually understanding myself and my needs better.

I think there is value in Brooks' suggestions, but I ultimately still believe that the best thing to do to use my time in a fulfilling way is to listen to how my body and soul are reacting in the present moment.

5 days ago