logo
  1. Social media powered by reading.

The best way to find, read and share articles online.

App Store BadgeComing soon to Windows, macOS and Android. Get notified.
    The Atlantic | Ian Bogost | 1/16/20 | 12 min
    9.0
    The Atlantic
    9.0
    • Abarlet1 month ago

Having a home office for the past 2-3 decades and smart devices and computer technology all over the house, I find there are days I never need to leave the house. In fact I would much prefer to watch an exciting movie in my pajamas on my comfy sofa. I love the peace and quiet of home but it’s not a good balance. Now there are plenty of days I look for reasons to get out of the house. Isn’t that weird?

Reading streakScout
        1 month ago

I appreciate your honesty. Being aware is the first step towards change. Maybe just getting outside for fresh air is reason enough!

Reading streakScout
      1 month ago

Easily a 10, one of the best articles I have read on Readup. I grew up in the 60’s, so what has been lost to technology is glaring. Loved these: ...”non-place, a family of transitional locations where people’s sense of self becomes suppressed or even vanishes.” ...”a massive overabundance of dead space devoted to individual rather than collective activity.” “The possibilities available outside the home were far greater than those within its walls.” “Now home is a prison of convenience that we need special help to escape.” So much to reflect upon and consider. Of course I love aspects of technology but I can easily disconnect and enjoy the silence and beauty of nature. It freaks me out to think what people will be like in the future.

• jbuchana
        1 month ago

To see where we might be headed, check out the society in Asimov's "The Naked Sun." Many years ago when I read this, it seemed pretty far-out, but looking at it today, well, it looks like we might be headed there.

Reading streakScout
          1 month ago

I’m not sure I want to see it! But thanks for the suggestion.

• Jessica1 month ago

Now home is a prison of convenience that we need special help to escape.

This must relate to the rise in loneliness as well. If so much is at our fingertips, why leave home? Less interacting with others, and before we know it, it’s harder to get out than to stay in.

• jbuchana
      1 month ago

Superpace is everywhere you are, but do you always want to be there? It seems that most people have made that decision, if for no other reason than default.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" -Rush

1 month ago

Great find. I love Bogost.

Reading streakScoutScribe
      1 month ago

I love the convenience of superspaces and efficiency of non-places but the author does a great job of articulating some of what has been lost to progress. It takes real effort to not just Netflix and Fresh Direct one's life away. With these great amenities comes great responsibility.