Science of UsAnonymous .4/12/2112 min
    8.4
    Science of Us
    8.4
    • sjwoo1 day ago

Late to the party, but I just have one comment:

Being a tech worker is not like banking, where you know you’re not doing good for society.

I'm kind of sick of people dumping on banks. Yes, they have certainly done bad things (i.e., Wells Fargo), but do people realize that banking is the reason why we have anything at all? Before there was banking, i.e., lending, i.e., interest rates, progress was nil. Banking allows people to take risks. Without people taking risks, there's no advancement. So please, stop unilaterally dumping on banks!

• Karenz20 hours ago

Excellent comment!!! That’s a good point!!!

• DellwoodBarker

Hmmmmm....I am surprised by my reaction to this read. I read the comments first and went into this expecting a heartless, callous millionaire account. In the after moments I sense this person is sussing out the temptation aspect of the lifestyle (15 dollar cheese is a bit extreme) and the reality of giving some, the reality of having landed into ladyluck with this rather than hard work, and more.

To read this from as objective a space of non-judgement as possible is the best way. This individual feels open to eventually becoming a balanced steward with the funds rather than just a selfish hoarder. Perhaps after a few chapters of extravagance allowance experiences will shape them into doing so less.

My deepest gratitude with this read is that it should provoke each of us to really sit down and focus on a plan for such a lifestyle of funds on whatever level we find ourselves.

I have people in my life who have a clear vision for where they wish to cap their living expenses (once successful) and giving the rest away. I have admirable people in my life who legitimately see nothing they own as truly theirs. I find such individuals inspiring.

Vulnerably speaking, if I lucked into this kind of lifestyle I Know My Ego would be tempted towards more spending; however, I pray that my experiences with poverty and homelessness would quickly override the ego and my Heart Will Remember what it is like to go without. Give, give, give.

We need more willing to give to eradicate hunger, homelessness etc.

I saw a sign recently in a park that made me go woah! It spoke to the pretty staggering reality of how we can spend soooo much money in the wake of a pandemic on vaccines and stimulus’, etc.... but we haven’t been able to do the same with the crisis of starving and homeless.

I ain’t mad that I read this. I feel inspired to set more focused financial intentions in meditative sits.

This individual is self-aware and processing and adjusting.

• kellyalysia

This was a very refreshing, balanced and kind perspective and I really appreciated it!

• DellwoodBarker

💗🙏🏼

This is very interesting because I was not the least bit offended by this woman’s reaction. I felt it was an honest stream of consciousness musing about how her life may change do to such an extraordinary turn of events. Even that it made sense given her family background. I’ll be very interested in what others think. I don’t feel there is a right or wrong reaction to this - just different.

• Jessica

I felt similarly; "honest stream of consciousness" is a good way to describe it. I sense a bit of guilt and uncertainty in the tone of writing. The author acknowledges the job-loss during the pandemic and roommate's healthcare work, which doesn't exactly make her feel great about what she considers being in the right place at the right time.

(Oftentimes very important work, like social work and nonprofit work, are the most poorly compensated.)

There are people who don’t know what they’re doing but feel very excited. And there are people who feel like they don’t know what they’re doing with the money, and what the money means, and they’re encompassed by anxiety. They don’t realize that nobody else knows what they’re doing either.

• DellwoodBarker

💯 Likewise Reaction 💯

yes. just reread. that's the better reaction. my other one is unnecessarily angry.

• DellwoodBarker

☯️💖💃🏻⚖️🕊

• TripleG
      Reading streak

I’m not offended at all. In the tech world there are millions of new millionaires. This girl is just overwhelmed with this sudden windfall, like winning the lottery. It will take time to sort out her new found wealth and I think she will be generous in her actions.

• justinzealand2 weeks ago

This a cringe worthy article. Points for honesty, but as someone who busted his butt in many failing startups (and most do fail), it seems like her success is nothing more than a privileged lottery. And so be it. Life is not fair. $6 million is a lot of money, but she will find herself in the “new rich” circle as the “rich poor”. If you don’t have a net worth of $10 M then you are not “comfortably” rich. I certainly do hope she finds a competent money manager.

• kellyalysia

This was a hate-read and I'm sorry.

Wow. Yeah. Interesting, but awkward to the point of painful.

I appreciate the honesty (can you say that about something anonymous?) but the actual content of this was cringe after cringe. It feels too strong to say that this person is “morally depraved,” but that’s the term I can’t avoid. There is complete deficiency of values and principles, and it’s quite disturbing to read as the person acknowledges and ignores that deficit.