logo
  1. Social media powered by reading.

The best way to find, read and share articles online.

App Store Badge
    Organizer Sandbox | Deep Dave | 12/16/19 | 2 min
    9.2
    Organizer Sandbox
    9.2
      1 week ago

AWESOME! I'm so stoked to have Deep Dave in the Readup community.

Just like Dave, I have been trying to better understand how I learn. And I'm trying to improve the way I consume information, especially over the internet.

I too read Cal Newport's Digital Minimalism. In fact, I was with Cal the night before the book launched. He shook my hand, signed my book, and said he was interested in Readup (which was then still called "reallyread.it.") Pretty surreal memory at this point. All of that happened before I started living in a way that can only be described as radically-digitally-minimal. These days, I'm at peace with the black mirror, which I still keep at a safe distance. For the most part, I know how I want to dance with the devil. It's fun.

Great to have you here, Dave. Keep reading and writing! Your English is great!

Top reader this week
        1 week ago

Thank you, Bill, for scouting this!

Deep Work and Digital Minimalism are insightful books by Cal Newport to explore and understand ways of focusing on what matters and ignore the clutter.

The Internet has become noisy over time and I have been learning to explore resources, finding people to follow, learn and also meeting them in real life.

4 days ago

AOTD! Congrats, Deep Dave! Not since the arrival of our mad queen Alexa has a new user made such a splash.

Your English is excellent. You have a very natural voice. Keep reading and writing!

Top reader this week
            3 days ago

Thank you, Bill!

• Jim4 days ago

Breaking news used to mean just that.... News that is new and important, now it seems everything is 'Breaking!'

• BetSheWet5 days ago

6-8 hours of screen time a day? Finally someone who understands! What makes the breaking news so addicting is our culture as a whole consuming it. It becomes workplace and social topics of discussion and if you don’t live that lifestyle then you’re left not knowing what these folks are rambling on about... there’s a high to having read a recent news article and then hearing somebody mentioning the same topic; not a healthy high, but a high nonetheless

Reading streakScout
      6 days ago

This is a great article and resource. I first heard about the slow news movement from an article on Readup almost a year ago. It makes so much sense, as anything fast can trigger and send one off in reactive mode instead of proactive. Slow is better - mindful presence in everything I do whether it’s eating, exercising, reading, making dinner.

• jbuchana
      1 week ago

I like the concept of "slow news."

1 week ago

Verrrrrry interesting. Can you elaborate?

• jbuchana
          1 week ago

Time gives perspective, it prevents one from being led this way and another by the novelty of the information being consumed. One can use the knowledge gained from more sources about a single piece of information.

1 week ago

Yes. Absolutely. I'm a big believer in all things "slow." All things in life are better with one more good deep breath. Readup has always felt "slow" to me and I want to keep it that way even though we're about to go into turbo-growth mode.

I think of Readup as the ultimate source for slow news. I've been on Twitter a bit recently and it has shocked me the way that everything, everywhere is so current. That's Twitter's appeal. It aims to be "what's happening now," and it does an incredibly great job at that.

Right now in the Readup Top 10: Joyce Carol Oates on JonBenet Ramsey (from 1999!!) and David Brooks in The Atlantic (from 01). These are classics.

How cool that this connects to our other thread about writing and legacy. Any writing that "stands the test of time" is clearly "worth it" for some reason. That's the problem with super-fast news. So much of it won't stand the test of time, which sort of makes it a waste of time. Right?