Medium | Benjamin Hardy, PhD | 4/3/17 | 2 min
    8.8
    Medium
    8.8
    • EZ19693 weeks ago

I think this can be taken for what it is - a highlight of one dimension of success at work. And it’s a good one.

• Michaelvds

I think the article makes a truly good point that it is vital for a thoughtful employee to look at the why of any task assigned to them just as much as the what. And as it is only a two minute read, I think it is really worth the time.

However I have two concerns with this article.

1. The first being that is seems to me that success in life is more than success at work and can be tied to personal goals and objectives. For one person being successful can mean having a healthy relationship with their spouse and kids. For another it can mean to win a major sports event. And yet another success can be tied to living a virtuous life.
      2. My second concern with this article is that it implies that this would be the only thing making a person more successful in their work life. I would beg to differ: I think there are certain social skills like humbleness to detect and accept when you should listen to others and the capability to predict peoples reactions to your actions that can play an equal importance in this aspect.
      • Jessica
        Top reader this weekScoutScribe

I appreciate this comment and agree. I think about your first point a lot -- success is something so uniquely defined by each individual. I know many people who feel successful when they cultivate deep relationships with the people around them while happily continuing to do what they've always done in the work space with no intention of advancement (I suppose what the author describes as "playing it safe).

I do think a 2-minute read is short for a complex topic like success at work (which seems like a very specific, microscopic look at this topic).

Short but impactful. Agree 100%.

• TripleG
      Top reader this weekReading streak

Great two minute read. Think, be creative, take initiative, and don’t settle for mediocrity.

• Florian
      Top reader this weekReading streak
      1 month ago

I usually stay away from click-bait titles like this one... however, in this case I’m glad I gave the article a chance

• chrissetiana
      Top reader this weekTop reader of all time
      1 month ago

Being successful requires being proactive and not waiting for life to come to you. It means you’re on offense, not defense. You’re active, not passive.

• bartadamley

Short read, but valuable lesson.

Are you an initiator? You absolutely can be.

But if not, one thing is for certain: Life isn’t going to wait for you.