1. Social media powered by reading.

The best way to find, read and share articles online.

App Store BadgeChrome Web Store Badge
    Coming soon to Android, Firefox, Safari and Edge. Get notified.
    Organizer Sandbox | Mikael Cho | 7/15/13 | 8 min
    8.9
    Organizer Sandbox
    8.9
    • mamoji1 week ago

If you make yourself available to focus deeper on what you’re consuming, you’re giving yourself a better opportunity to connect at an emotional level, retain more and be creative

Absolutely obvious but extremely helpful and mind changing on this time.

• aleph2 days ago

Be more present. Life is happening.

• exist20201 week ago

Great stuff, in case you are suffering from information overload.

• Sentien1 week ago

It's quite eye opening to consider today's attention economy--how easy it is to get distracted by notifications on your phone for example--and its effects on mindfulness. Distractions are quite costly when you're learning! Does anyone take steps to reduce distractions while reading or studying something new?

• thorgalle1 week ago

Yes! I'm writing an article on that exactly. I'll get back to this comment in a week or so to share it.

• joshuapoh1 week ago

Loving this one- the learning pyramid was an eye opener! And the whole idea of consuming like you’re going to teach someone - I find writing summaries or preparing to review books help to make the concepts more concrete in my mind!

• thorgalle1 week ago

Yes, the pyramid was new for me too, fascinating! It doesn't seem to be hard science (didn't check), but definitely helpful as a rule of thumb.

I'm not really writing summaries now, but I'm taking notes/highlighting & gathering those in a "take aways" document. Also helpful to refer to interesting passages.

• thorgalle1 week ago

I love this article, in the sense that it confirms, backs up & spells out some disorganised thoughts I had for years.

The emotional connection to learning was new for me though, and it reminds me of this passage from an essay, My Instagram:

A voyeur knows what kind of viewer he is, but looking at Instagram, you are not always a voyeur. Neither are you always a witness, nor any other single kind of watcher. Each post interpellates you differently. Your implied identity slips with each stroke of the thumb.

It's really why I'm avoiding social media feeds right now.

Also, a great testament to Readup :)

• Florian1 week ago

Great article about learning. The learning pyramid is eye opening.

being in the moment decreases the noise in your brain

This is type of meditation is often referred to as mindfulness and is something I actively try to practice

• Sentien1 week ago

• TripleG
      Reading streak

This a great article about learning and retaining. Scientists know we lose millions of neurons as we age, but learning new things and creativity can introduce new neural connections. Try things you’ve never done before like learning a musical instrument or learn how to sew or martial arts training. Exercising your brain as well as your body is the key for happiness!

• chrissetiana2 weeks ago

It’s not necessarily how much you consume, but how you consume that makes the difference.

Reading streakScout

Fascinating read! @mikaelcho

When you consume in a passive way, by skimming and moving to the next thing, you’re at a learning disadvantage.

Instead of just trying to get to the end of your Twitter feed or articles that you saved for later, read each article as if you would need to tell a friend about it after.

Go out with different types of people or try things you’ve never done before. When you meet new people or try unexpected events, it creates an idea cocktail in your brain.

Instead of fighting to win the battle to consume all the information you can, come to terms with the fact that you lost the war.