1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

Mailchimp NewsletterKelly Barrett7 min
    9.4
    Mailchimp Newsletter
    9.4
    • Pennyforyourthoughts1 week ago

Great story and a great title!

Top reader of all timeScout

Writing (and reading) allows us to get inside the mind and heart of another person. This piece proves it. It also proves that (1) what doesn't kill us makes us stronger (2) we are not as "in control" as we want to be, and (3) that's a good thing!

Serious. Wisdom. Kelly, you're a guru, sage, and incredible storyteller. Bravo!

Reading streakScoutScribe

I could feel every word of this vulnerable experience. And that’s what connects us as humans. Your scream reminds me of how animals shake when they are hurt and in danger. It is primal. Thanks for sharing Kelly. I trust your healing will be insightful and complete. Look forward to more writing!

• DellwoodBarker

💕🦩 Your scream reminds me of how animals shake when they are hurt and in danger. It is primal. 🦩💕

This is how my body commonly responds.

• DellwoodBarker

Much Love and Healing (if this is a recent injury?)

Really appreciate this read, Kelly, and glad you are a writer here sharing your stories.

Love this passage, Courtney and music coming to mind.

and later I would remember the Courtney Barnett line and smile: "The paramedic thinks I'm clever 'cause I play guitar / I think she's clever 'cause she stops people dying."

Carmen, my medic thanked me for saving her from having to cook 100 tacos for the crew back at the station and made me laugh while setting up my morphine drip. The people at the hospital who fixed me up and were also really chill and kind.

This brings to mind a fun (turned unexpectedly scary) solo hike here when I was almost lost/fallen and could’ve easily ended up on the late night news. I ended up asking for support from nature spirits and guides whom led to follow yellow flowers off-trail and upon a rather rough fall that, gratefully, landed on my arse- I was back on the trail once I stood up and shook off.

Cheers to support; both visible and unseen!

Top reader this weekScout

Damn, solo hiking injuries are no joke. Here’s to a swift recovery @kellyalysia!