Lisa Richardson Bylines | 2/12/21 | 5 min
    Lisa Richardson Bylines
    • thorgalle
      Scribe
      1 week ago

Beautiful! Readup is, in a way, also a creative offering of protest.

On a cynical note: do we need to protest the loss of a few words from a particular paper dictionary? A digital dictionary will house all those words, new and old, as will Wikipedia. No page limits there!

At the same time, “MP3 Player” is more passé now than these wild words will hopefully ever be. And I do see that the downgraded valuing of these wild things is a problem in itself.

• pembygrl1 week ago

You are the most wonderful readers. Thank you for your attention... it's a precious thing, and much apppreciated.

• Raven

Very nice 👍

• Karenz1 week ago

Creativity is just about the best antidote to any loss. How can we do without Lavender? It’s such a specific shade and a type of plant. I wasn’t even aware this removal of nature words was happening till I read Readup!! To make room for database and MP3 player??!! Dandelion is so much more musical!!

1 week ago

I am equally enthusiastic about this one. These words need saving! I now know “cedar,” “juniper,” “sage,” and “cottonwood,” but it has taken 6 months of study.

“Lavender” and “dandelion” I know and love since childhood.

• KentFackenthall
      1 week ago

I can add nothing to this. It’s perfect just as it is.

• kellyalysia2 weeks ago

I wasn’t sure if this was fictional at the beginning and truly I’m not sure still even now but i Loved it nonetheless or even more so.

Craftivism is a kind of anathema to slacktivism, which is the more common path of protest these days – yelling loudly into Facebook to try and effect change. Craftivism, is quieter and gentler, it generates art and artefacts, and is about creating a better world, note by note, stitch by stitch. It’s about putting something into the world that is more than just your rage or your despair – something that people can approach with curiosity, and engage with.

Reading streakScoutScribe

This is a true, magical story! Glad you liked it!

Reading streakScoutScribe

Beyond a 10, a must read! How the loss of the Wild Words created a cultural phenomenon. Read this if you wish to be inspired and enchanted by the power of the creative collective. I discovered Lisa Richardson on Readup. I so loved her writing that I signed up for her newsletter. What a gift to myself!

• SEnkey

Loved this!

Reading streakScoutScribe

OMG, I’m SO glad you read this and loved it! I was really struck by how creative and proactive people/artists can be! It’s like they see a problem but instead of bemoaning and complaining, they create a complete “movement” around their response. And because of that, SO many people are getting their message. Thank you!

• SEnkey

I loved that you posted it! One nice thing from working from home the last year has been taking my kids for walks during the day around the local creek/woods. I ordered "The Keeper of Wild Words" for us to read yesterday. I think it will be a great book to read the first day of spring.

Reading streakScoutScribe

How cool is that! Awesome! And the sound of spring equally splendid!

• DellwoodBarker
              Top reader this weekScribe

Those books look So Beautifully Rendered! Lucky household!

I am going to add The Lost Words to wishlist. The statement on the size precipitated a chuckle. 🤭

“use as a rain shelter or a coffee table”

• TripleG
            Reading streak

Yes Pegeen. Proactive and creativity are so much more attractive than reactive and constant negativity.

I love this author. She also wrote How to Tell Your Husband You're A Witch

yes yes yes to this:

a form of environmental protest that is less about shouting, crying or doing without, and more about making, singing, dancing, and invoking joy.

Top reader this weekTop reader of all timeScout

The first paragraph read like the fictional opening to a late 90's dystopian sci-fi novella. I was ready for it but this was way more interesting. Glad the book got the attention it deserved!

• TripleG
      Reading streak

Love creativity in all forms.

• DellwoodBarker
      Top reader this weekScribe

Musicians gathered to turn it into an album. It inspired a symphony. The artworks were painted on hospital walls. It became a huge bestseller, a cultural phenomenon.

💗💗💗💗

Loving the word Craftivism and education of within this read.

Also the paragraph that starts: “The intention behind the books is what compelled me.” is a stand-out paragraph here.

Be sure and read the moth statements in the book visual image out loud.