Heads up: We're making Readup free for life to the first 10k users.8,592 spots remaining!
logo
  1. Join our community of readers.

Find and share the best articles on the web.

HuffPost Highline | On Assignment For HuffPost | 12/30/18 | 33 min
    9.1
    HuffPost Highline
    9.1

Nice. #1. I've been wanting this one to AOTD since I read it 5 days ago. Gogogo!

• Alexa

I was glad too, and not just because of the silly self-satisfaction of knocking you out of #1 as a Scout haha.

lol, god forbid I spend a few days working on Readup's fundraising plan! enemies at the gate left and right!

anyway - that's a taunt. so now you're toast, lol. prepare for total scout domination.

• Alexa

Oh, it's on haha. I am not usually one for vanity metrics but scouting quality articles is one I can get behind, and maybe get vaguely competitive over ha.

Lol, like I said, comments like that make me think that you're some kind of spy (sent by Amazon obv) to infiltrate Readup. Because, yeah - exactly!

Binoculars and quill is such an epic combo.

• Alexa

I will only claim credit as an amazon spy if you get a kajillion dollar buyout offer from Jeff Bezos ha.

Also, agreed on the combo. It's like my very own Moonlight Kingdom reader flair. Keeping it.

• Alexa

Whoa. Great read.

Awesome find!

I enjoyed this a lot. It’s light, breezy, and downright funny, but also not a joke. There’s some deep stuff in here.

This is my favorite kind of thing to read - deep, personal, real. Enriching.

• Karenz2 weeks ago

Loved this! Writer came thru as a great human being. You are right, Bill-very funny and NOT!

• Plum2 weeks ago

Loved loved loved her response to Dick Cheney. I made house calls for many years but her stories top anything I ever experienced!

• Jank
      Reading streak

Favorite read of the decade :)

Love that fire.

• jbuchana
      Reading streakScoutScribe

A great read indeed.

From 1977 to about 1988 I spent most of my work life as a TV repair technician. I can relate to a lot of what she's saying in this article. No drugs, no stealing, and I wasn't timed quite as ruthlessly but a lot of the rest rang true. I never went to a vice president's house or a mob house but I had several calls to biker gang clubhouses. Those guys were mostly pretty cool...

Great comment!

Thanks (now and always) for sharing your personal experiences. Very interesting. I have never done work quite like this, in people’s homes, but I have done a fair bit of blue-collar and customer-service stuff. My parents own a couple of liquor stores, so that’s where I first learned the mantra “the customer is always right.” Sometimes it’s painful if the customer is a nightmare.

So yes. This rang true for me too. Some people with money think they’re more important than people without it. It’s a cliche, but true: it’s incredible how much you can learn about people based on how they treat the people who serve them, as cable guy, waiter/waitress, cashier, driver, whatever. It’s basically binary; some people think “I’m human, this is a human, we are equal,” and some people think “I’m in charge and you work for me.

• jbuchana
          Reading streakScoutScribe

I've worked as a TV Tech (and other consumer electronics), Draftsman, Engineering Lab Supervisor, Electronic Circuit Designer, Unix Sysadmin, and now, as a cashier at a tool store. It's amazing how different people treat you in different roles.

In retail, I've learned how some people consider you less than human, a lesson I started to learn years ago as a TV Tech.