1. Did you even read the article?

Readup tracks your reading progress. In our community, you can’t comment on articles you haven’t really read.

Healthline | 6 min
    9.6
    Healthline
    9.6
    • kurpels

I have this form of anxiety/depression. I have to convince myself to do little chores for future Sarah. She’s always grateful.

Top reader this weekReading streakScout

If you can, split it into smaller tasks. If you have a paper to write, write just a paragraph or two for now, or set a timer for a short period of time. You can do a surprising amount of tidying up in two minutes.

Writing is cathartic. When you are baffled or overwhelmed by something, just write down your thoughts to get clarity about the task.

• joanne4 weeks ago

I agree and once you start writing, time can fly and you don’t really need that timer.

• jbuchana

Anxiety is a big problem for me was well. This article explains the situation well.

Reading streakScribe
      1 month ago

Very interesting article and comments. I may have had the opposite problem. When I was younger, not getting tasks done caused me more anxiety than facing them. If there was a report due in 2 weeks, I did it immediately, instead of waiting. I guess the feeling of anxiety is more unpleasant for me than the task itself. But I agree with chrissetiana, no matter what your inner rhythm, always be kind to yourself.

• chrissetiana1 month ago

The thing with me is that if there’s a deadline imposed on me by someone else, anxiety hits and i panic so much that i work on it immediately, get it done as soon as possible. But if it’s something personal like reading a book or simply cleaning the room, it can take so long to get done. I just can’t do it. And i never really understood why.

1 month ago

Oh man. This is so so real. I can totally relate. I feel like everyone, everywhere can relate to this feeling. Just like: "What's the use?"

• vunderkind
      1 month ago

I received a diagnosis for depression and anxiety disorder last year, and it suddenly put a lot of what I considered inexplicable human ineptness in perspective.

I've been applying some of the techniques here, but it helps to know you're experiencing something normal for someone with your condition.

• chrissetiana1 month ago

Some days may be easier to overcome it than others, but having a name for it and knowing that you’re not alone — well, that makes it feel just a little bit more possible.

Sigh. So sometimes, it's not like you're simply in constant lazy/procrastination mode. Sometimes it's something more. Always be kind to yourself.