1. Stop feeding. Start reading.

Readup helps you spend more of your time and attention on deep, focused reading. We are a community of readers, writers and free-thinkers. Join us today!

Harvard Gazette | J.K. Rowling | 6/5/08 | 15 min
    9.8
    Harvard Gazette
    9.8
    • joanne9 months ago

Loved this. So right on, thought it was way more recent. She is very intuitive... must be a result of spending your life feeding imagination.!

• erica10 months ago

A lot hit close to home. This is so embarrassing, humbling, and true. Useful reality check and reminder for us all:

Indeed, your conception of failure might not be too far from the average person’s idea of success, so high have you already flown. This makes my heart hurt and also makes me smile: Failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me.  I love this so much - all you need is love! Unlike any other creature on this planet, humans can learn and understand, without having experienced. They can think themselves into other people’s places.

Haha. YES! Strong post. (For AOTD, on a Wednesday!)

I see the Harry Potter books every time I step into a library, and feel the magic all over again.

Gotta get J. K. Rowling on Readup!

• erica10 months ago

Also, I was at the Harvard graduation ceremony this year for my brother. The commencement speaker was Angela Merkel. She was also epic - spoke in German and only broke into English at the very end.

1 year ago

Prolific. Uplifting. Amazing.

• Jessica10 months ago

Thank you for this recommendation. I LOVE this. I'm going to read it again and again.

Seeing failure as "stripping away of the inessential" is so powerful.

"What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality." I'm pinning that somewhere on my wall.