1. Did you even read the article?

Readup tracks your reading progress. In our community, you can’t comment on articles you haven’t really read.

harpers.org | 12/1/19 | 45 min
    9.4
    harpers.org
    9.4
    • joanne3 months ago

Wow .. so much to unpack in this article for me. I have family who have lived in the Bay Area for decades, in a shed in a community garden for more than a year, in artist lofts and who bought a house in Oakland. The ramifications of gentrification are so devastating and, for me this was a very small lense into what is going on.

• Abarlet3 months ago

A story of a ghetto life as the norm. People in search of Utopia and accept squalor as a way of life. It’s the Gold Rush all over again.

• jbuchana
      Reading streakScoutScribe

Great article. My wife and I visited San Francisco about two years ago. We loved it as a vacation spot, it was friendly and enjoyable. Beautiful too. We talked to a lot of locals, mostly people working in shops and restaurants. They liked the city, but many complained about barely being able to afford to live there, the city they were born and had lived their lives in. Now it had become too expensive, and many said they were considering moving elsewhere. Sad. We're lucky enough to live in a city (Kokomo IN) that has won awards for being one of the least expensive cities to live in, at least of cities where jobs are available. We have a nice 2000 sq foot home in an older, but nice, neighborhood for less than $100K, and if you can't afford that, there are a lot of less expensive options that are way better than a shack. It makes it hard to understand what it's like to live in a gentrified city.

• Alexa

I went to middle school in Kokomo, it's a darling place. How cool!

• jbuchana
          Reading streakScoutScribe

The web is a small place!

• Alexa

Really good read. It's troubling, and I know SO many people going through this or who have gone through it. For most of my friends in SF, and even LA, the ones who thrive have grown up there. The underground network of artists & creatives supporting each other is the only thing that makes it even vaguely possible.

It's only gotten worse since GhostShip burned too. Many friends with legit warehouses (not housing squats) got kicked out, no landlord would take the risk with artists anymore. What a spooky world.

• kicksnare3 months ago

So sad and so good.

• turtlebubble

Such a good read

I have thought about this multiple times per day every day since reading it. Required reading for anybody with any connection to SF or Oakland.

• casst0wn3 months ago

Loved it. Read it a few weeks ago as well and wanted to send it to you because it touches on everything relevant, not just about the Bay Area.

Yes!! Cass, omg, you’re really in my head! I was just thinking, “I really wish someone else would read Gimme Shelter so it can bump back up on Readup.” Rock and roll. This is a true 10.