1. Social media powered by reading.

The best way to find, read and share articles online.

App Store BadgeChrome Web Store Badge
    Coming soon to Android, Firefox, Safari and Edge. Get notified.
    gizmodo.com | Victoria Song | 3/24/20 | 17 min
    9.5
    gizmodo.com
    9.5
    • jbuchana
      Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      3 days ago

Appliances As A Service

• SEnkey
        3 days ago

I have to say this is super frustrating. But I can see the conundrum the companies are in. This is why I avoid most smart appliances and home gadgets, but it's hard to avoid with the TV and streaming options.

• jbuchana
          Top reader this weekScoutScribe
          3 days ago

So far we've been able to get by with a dumb TV and a Chromecast, but we got that TV years ago, I'm not sure what's available today if it were to die.

• SEnkey
            1 day ago

We angled for this but with a Roku. Of course the problem we had is that the Roku doesn't last (you have to get the new Roku to support netflix etc). But, I'd rather replace a forty dollar roku than a several hundred dollar tv every five years.

• Alexa
      2 days ago

Most IoT appliances are still stupid expensive for the average person.

Fixed it for you: Most IoT appliances are stupid.

Ok, maybe too sassy but do I really need a fridge that yells at me to buy milk or a toothbrush with bluetooth? I'd far prefer an item built to last over a lightbulb I can control with my phone. In fact....I prefer the items in my life to help me avoid being on my phone.

I stopped having a TV in my house years ago and it was the best idea I've had, if I want to watch a movie I set up a (very analog) projector and make an evening of it, really helps me be conscious about my use and how plugged in i am to screens.

I saw this subscription model laid out far better in This Could Be Our Future by Yancy Strickler and in the world of the circular economy. I would be far more willing to invest in subscription or ongoing payments to a company if they built their products to last and allowed me to repair and improve it as it aged rather than strong arming me thru planned obsolescence to upgrade.

• SEnkey
        1 day ago

Haha. Yeah, pretty much.

• Abarlet2 days ago

Yes! I completely remember my parents having a washer and dryer that lasted for 20 years. Now I feel lucky if I get 3 years out of these appliances. I have no interest in smart anything if it requires I have to subscribe to make my dishwasher work. No thanks. I understand that technology moves on and companies always have a roadmap. If you want to invest in technology you better be prepared to stick with all the updates over the long haul.

Reading streakScout
      2 days ago

The IoT is still a nascent industry and clearly, there’s a disconnect between customer expectations and the realities of capitalism.

• aleph2 days ago

Where do we draw the line in which X as a service becomes ridiculous? As a saving millennial in his early 20’s, car as a service makes sense. I do not want a car. Sander and Airbnb were planning to launch housing as a service. Would you pay for that?

• jbuchana
        Top reader this weekScoutScribe
        2 days ago

Housing as a service sounds a lot like apartment rental.