Esquire | A.J. Jacobs | 7/24/07 | 24 min
    8.6
    Esquire
    8.6
    • joanne8 months ago

Interesting theory but I think it crosses the line into creepy. I believe in honesty maybe not radical honesty. I like to filter my thoughts thru the 4 gates if speech. Is it the truth? Does it have to be said? Is now the right time? And how do I say it as compassionately as possible? He just blasts thru the first gate and that is totally unfiltered. Blanton should read a book about mindfulness and empathy.?

• thorgalle
        Scribe
        5 days ago

Nice reference to those 4 gates! I see how they could reduce harmful speech. At the same time, thinking about these all the time sounds exhausting. Seems to be much written on it, gotta read up.

• pandemia8 months ago

What does it mean creepy in this context? I don’t understand

• DellwoodBarker
      Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      1 week ago

Controversial yet the Core Liberations behind this philosophy are Pretty Remarkable as evidenced in these paragraphs. Secrets & Shame & Guilt that have plagued Us for so long and could even cause physical or emotional or success barriers of painful dis-ease are suddenly Illuminated and lift off light as a feather:

That's one thing I've noticed: When I am radically honest, people become radically honest themselves. I feel my resentment fade away. I like this guy. We have a good meeting.

In fact, all my relationships can take a whole lot more truth than I expected. Consider this one: For years, I've had a chronic problem where I refer to my wife, Julie, by my sister's name, Beryl. I always catch myself midway through and pretend it didn't happen. I've never confessed to Julie. Why should I? It either means that I'm sexually attracted to my sister, which is not good. Or that I think of my wife as my sister, also not good.

But today, in the kitchen, when I have my standard mental sister-wife mix-up, I decide to tell Julie about it.

”That's strange," she says.

We talk about it. I feel unburdened, closer to my wife now that we share this quirky, slightly disturbing knowledge. I realize that by keeping it secret, I had given it way too much weight. I hope she feels the same way.

Ten. AJ Jacobs is a legend.

Published in ‘07. (Maybe not publishable today?)

• dukie43 months ago

The casual sexual harassment in the name of honesty was a clear sign this was not from 2020.

Exactly. There are pros and cons to that fact.

• pandemia8 months ago

Now I make a connection I didn’t get before;-)

• theesakker8 months ago

The MySpace reference? It seemed strangely anachronistic but now it makes sense...

• jackdille8 months ago

Super enjoyable read but if I was to try I think I'd experience many of the same events the author did - yikes. Google Brad Blanton as the author nailed his description, I can practically hear his laugh.

lolol 👍👍

• Abarlet8 months ago

Very funny. Reality? Let's hope not. I am pretty sure I could not be in the same room with someone who practiced this type of radical honesty. There is radical honesty that comes from a 5-year-old (Your hair looks funny.) And then there is radical honesty that comes from a full-grown adult, which is just rude and insulting, and didn't your Mom teach you any manners? I guess I must fall into the radical Dishonesty camp. Still a funny read.

Great comment. Great alternative perspective!

• Tonianni8 months ago

Being honest should help us rethink our thoughts.

It appears the problem stems from what and how we think about things. The bible tells no lie

“ A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of” Luke 6:45

• pandemia8 months ago

The journalist is a little jerk but the article is funny and I like the radical honesty concept