1. Deep reading is screen time well spent.

Readup offers distraction-free reading and noise-cancelled comments, built by and for readers. The future is focus. The future is slow. Join us.

ELLE | Claire Stapleton | 12/19/19 | 17 min
    9.3
    ELLE
    9.3
    • joanne7 months ago

It’s frightening what companies can get away with. Kombucha on tap , I phones and a basketball court on “campus” made me suspect about what was lurking below . What’s the best alternative to google?

• jbuchana

I responded to Karenz a few hours ago. In case you didn't see it, here are my two favorites. They give good results and seem more trustworthy than Google (which I do use part of the time)

• Karenz7 months ago

I use google all the time and am really distraught to hear how the culture has changed there for the workers. But that seems to be happening to workers in almost every setting. It’s SO demoralizing that profit is the only motive. I’d love to hear about some good companies.

• jbuchana

For search, I often use Ecosia or Duck Duck Go. Ecosia uses their income to plant trees, and Duck Duck Go prioritizes privacy and its lack of a "search bubble" Basically everybody gets the same results for the same search terms.

-- Jim Buchanan jbuchana@gmail.com

• Karenz7 months ago

Jim, thanks for this information. I appreciate it.

• epistrophe7 months ago

Many folks joined Google because of the 20-year reputation of being about the employees, the products, the users, and joining in the last 5 years must be quite the dramatic let down. Google's mission to organize the worlds information and make it accessible to everyone, well that isn't there either. Don't be evil - tricky. The amount of complexity that's come from triple-digit thousands of employees, doubled over with temps puts "Don't be evil" at the bottom of an endless list of "what the heck is going on, and what do I do here anyway". So where else do folks go? The price of quality culture is high.

• jbuchana

"Don't be evil" meets "our primary focus is to increase shareholder value." Guess which won...

• Alexa

As I got into the article I coudln't help but think how naive the author was.

I was glad she highlighted that change in the space below.

If I could boil all these responses down to a single question, it might be: when did you first notice the gap between what you believed Google to be—progressive, equitable, fair, good—and what you actually see and experience every day?

I've been through this, the jarring realization that HR is not there to protect you, they're there to protect the company. It's a rough awakening, especially when your company claims a mission statement so different from the reality. Good read!

• chronotope

This is such a solid look at what's going on in Google and why its employees are reacting the way they are. Highly recommend a read.