1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

commentarymagazine.com5/6/204 min
    8.6
    commentarymagazine.com
    8.6
    • chrissetiana
      Top reader this weekTop reader of all timeScout
      1 year ago

So much bias

• pandemia1 year ago

People should be compensated to not be able to open for public health reasons. Period.

• gmclean1 year ago

If only common sense was common. Here’s hoping, and presuming, that we get past these prejudices at some point.

1 year ago

If only common sense was common - love this!

• kurpels1 year ago

...but common sense is relative.

• Gatsby1 year ago

I defend business owners (salons, restaurants, etc.) doing everything they can to make money before I defend people congregating. Get on Zoom if you need to see people; the business needs to be open to survive (and the family that owns it and the people that work there too).

• Jim1 year ago

Neighbors ratting out neighbors feels wrong...... but what is the alternative? Imagine being elderly, physically compromised, and scared. I am on the fence with this one.

• Florian
      Reading streak
      1 year ago

a judge, in a county that actually released hardened criminals for fear of contracting COVID-19, would jail a mother for operating her hair salon in an attempt to put food on her family’s table

I have so many questions

Top reader this weekScout
      1 year ago

Selective enforcement is biased enforcement whether it's being instigated by the police or neighbors snitching on one another. There's nothing worse than laws that make everyone a potential criminal.

• Florian
        Reading streak
        1 year ago

100% agreed!

• SEnkey1 year ago

Great point about unequal enforcement. It's a hard deal, one the one hand people should have the common sense to social distance as much as possible, on the other hand their is public health at stake. It's hard to enforce these rules and exceptions abound.

Personally I'm trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. The guy mowing the lawn needs the money and isn't talking to anyone. The lady cutting hair is doing every precaution she can. The guy without the facemask is in an emergency and left it by accident - these are the stories I'm telling myself. I want to think well of others.