1. Deep reading is screen time well spent.

Readup offers distraction-free reading and noise-cancelled comments, built by and for readers. The future is focus. The future is slow. Join us.

Carve Magazine | 26 min
    Carve Magazine
    • Abarlet4 months ago

Incredible that this is a true story. Extraordinary measures to perpetuate the lie. Can you explain the meaning of the title?

• sjwoo
        Scribe

Oh, not a true story! Just the goofy letter -- everything else, I assure you, is fiction. :)

I've always found the mathematical concept of limits to be really interesting...that you never actually reach the number but get very, very close to it. Or something like that -- to be perfectly frank, I don't remember much of higher math. In the story I was just playing around with that definition in more ways than one. :)

Ha! I also was like “wait is this true?!” the entire time.

And I love the title, “Limits.” Great word.

Great short story. A funny, fun, thoughtful throwback to the stress and excitement of college admissions and just being a teenager. Lots of momentum.

I especially enjoyed the references to Point Pleasant, Rt. 35 North, etc. - stuff I recognize from growing up on the Jersey Shore.

• sjwoo
        Scribe

So...this actually happened. The first part, anyway -- that's where the germ of this story comes from. And indeed, I was the butthead who created the fake letter (me and another friend "Chuck" and I had in common -- we couldn't stop laughing when we composed the letter together). Ah, the stupid memories of youth...

Thanks for highlighting my little juvenile tale!

High school shenanigans were such a blast! You really captured the vibe - everything's really frivolous but also really heavy. It's both a stressful and playful time when everyone's on the verge of flinging off into the first phase of adulthood.