1. Stop feeding. Start reading.

Readup helps you spend more of your time and attention on deep, focused reading. We are a community of readers, writers and free-thinkers. Join us today!

BRIGHT Magazine | Courtney Martin | 1/11/16 | 10 min
    9.5
    BRIGHT Magazine
    9.5
    • Afro5 months ago

This article is brilliant. I clung on to every sentence

Yup! Loved it!

• jamie4 months ago

A 10 rating for the candor of this writing. Wanting to help is not the same as helping. I remember the the' water wheel' I thought it was brilliant. I wish it was. I agree one of the best solutions is to make credit more available .... Not as sexy but crazy-useful to compromised societies . A great article, keep stuff like this coming!!!

• Pegeen4 months ago

Wow, insightful, powerful and well written. An entirely different take on becoming a social entrepreneur. Realistic and pragmatic. Can’t recommend this enough - excellent!

• Jessica5 months ago

They’re solving problems for people, rather than with, replicating many of the mistakes that the world’s largest development agencies make on a much smaller scale.

This article reminds me of Leila Janah, founder of Samasource. Her motto of giving work, not giving through charity, aligns with many things this article brought up (like the failed play water pumps.. that was so sad to read).

Top reader this weekReading streakScout

Excellent article! @courtwrites

There is real fallout when well-intentioned people attempt to solve problems without acknowledging the underlying complexity.

Reading streakScribe

This article does the brilliant headline justice. The best critique of social entrepreneurship I've ever read. Worth the read for the "Humanitarians of Tinder" excerpts alone.

• vunderkind5 months ago

Excellent piece, really. Reminds me of something I'll attempt to paraphrase: 'there is none so indulgent of their vice as one arrogant in their virtue.'