1. Did you even read the article?

Readup tracks your reading progress. In our community, you can’t comment on articles you haven’t really read.

blog.readup.com | 5/24/19 | 8 min
    9.8
    blog.readup.com
    9.8
    • anglofox10 months ago

Perhaps if you want people to comment as freely as they speak, the comment board has to be as impermanent as a conversation. Perhaps you could set your messages to delete after a certain amount of time, or auto-configure a disclaimer / acknowledgement for comments that no longer feel like you, or the ability to comment privately (to your online Readup journal, or just a few friends), or switch a comment from public to private when you feel like it, and back again.

I think the other challenge is that the desire to read is like an immediate need to consume new information, but commenting involves digesting what you read - which can take time and reflection - and then returning to the place where you read the article to actually type up your thoughts.

Finally, I feel like lurkers is a bad word to describe someone who reads and enjoys Readup, but finds themselves “listening more than they speak”. Making a new word for those members of your community could help remove some sort of creepy stigma attached to that totally normal behavior. If someone comments on an article I read, perhaps I could get a notification, which might encourage me to join the conversation.

• workingmom129210 months ago

Anglofox, I really like all your suggestions here!!

I looked to see, before I posted, if I could delete or change my comment I(I didn't see any such button) and so I tried to be more careful about what I said. I only commented after I had read the information a few times to be sure I understood it and after careful thought, I posted.

I don't mind the word lurk but I looked it up and it does have initial negative meaning with the informal meaning being not contributing on the internet.

Maybe, Readup followers could brainstorm ideas on what word would feel better?

I really like the idea of being notified when I log on to the site if anyone has commented on any of the articles I have finished (even if I didn't leave a comment yet) or ones I have commented on, (not just reply's).
        I think it would keep the conversation alive as others finish reading the article and comment as well.

Oh yeah! I'm agree 100% that "lurkers" isn't a good word. What about just "readers" as a word that applies to everyone in the community?

I like all of these ideas, especially (1) expiring comments (2) anonymous comments (3) notifications when someone comments on something you've read (so you can reply even if you maybe didn't want to be the first to comment)

• workingmom12929 months ago

Looks like you are already hard at work on some of these ideas.

I don't mind being referred to as a reader or a subscriber or even a yous, maybe..maybe. lol

I would like to see the option to edit or delete a comment, but if comments could be initially posted anonymous (or even changed to that later) that would be even better!

Yeah - I seriously want to be able to post anonymously. I think it would have to be the kind of thing that you select when you're posting ("post anonymously) and that's that.

If I could, I would upvote this comment. That's a feature that's been in the pipeline for a while.

• joanne10 months ago

You are so right on. I’ve never heard the fear and loathing of exposing ourselves put so plainly. I think the best way to get over ourselves is to just dive right in.

Thank you!

I wrote this quite furiously - chopping stuff up, axing big sections, restarting again and again - and I just realized that I lost a section that I quite liked. It was something like this: "My mom has the right idea, which is to read stuff on Readup, including the comments, and then just give me call whenever she wants to talk about it. I don't have to worry about whether or not she's read it because I know she's a solid reader and she's my mom so she doesn't lie. Most recently, it was Rich Kid Revolutionaries. I'm down to share my flip phone number widely, but I don't think that's a solution that can work for the entire community, especially if we keep growing." :)

• Ericwhitney80810 months ago

B, I’m predominantly a lurker but I’m going to try and use this as motivation to find ways to be more proactive. Also, I appreciate what you’re doing. Including your posts on your personal site. Writing is hard!

• Plum10 months ago

Whoa! but just a btw comment on one of your comments. I love the word yous (you plural) not only because I’m from NJ but because it signifies a community of yous in a way the proper plural, you doesn’t.

Lol. Wait, really? Use yous in a sentence that doesn't sound totally wrong.

• angle_dance46810 months ago

I love everything about this piece except the idea of you burning your journals. Please never do that.

• workingmom129210 months ago

Challenge accepted! Now buckle up cowboy cause this ride is gonna get....real!! Just kidding. Recently I met a man, (Mr. Lean and Handsome), who had all these intelligent things to say (at least when I let him get a word in edge wise..lol) and I completely related to what he was saying. The conversation seemed to flow pretty well, but there was an entire mental state behind the scenes. At least for me. While we were talking I kept mentally yelling at myself, Think woman think, focus, say something witty and personal...spit it out. I was nervous which made me ramble, but he felt like sunshine to me. Which is weird, because I don't spend much time with people these days. Books and animals are where much of my safer work revolves. SO, I lurk, I read other brave peoples comments, and I mentally participate. I think everyone feels that pressure to be witty, funny, and a participant. Add commenting in writing and now you have to worry about grammar and spelling and the fact that you cant ever....ever take it back and that's enough to make even a seasoned chatter box hide in their turtle shell. But now you have thrown out this challenge, this call to Readup followers to put their voices out there so you can get feedback on "...this crazy experiment.." Well I am standing up, or in this case, writing down what I think. I think its great and I totally believe its a great idea! Keep moving forward. How else can we help?

YES!! I think everyone can relate to this. Who isn't a nervous rambler?!

"Think woman think, focus, say something witty and personal...spit it out."

Ahh!! Hahahaha. I'm literally cracking up! This is such a hoot!!

• erica10 months ago

This makes me think of a line from Waking Life: “What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their real potential? The answer to that can be found in another question, and that’s this: Which is the most universal human characteristic — fear or laziness?“

FEAR

• jumana10 months ago

my comment would copy your entire post. thank you.

Ahh... took you less than ten words to get me smiling ear to ear!!

Reading streakScribe

Bill, this is one of my absolute favorite things you have written! I LOVE the honesty, just beyond wonderful! And it’s all true! As The Course in Miracles says, fear is just the absence of love. And allowing our inner critics to have the final say is a lack of loving ourselves, our true selves. The things we say to ourselves - would we ever say that to a child? To someone we loved? Loving is such an act of courage, of authentic strength. We are loving ourselves when we accept ourselves as we are - to share that, to connect, to include. I have always believed that it’s our vulnerability that connects us, not our hiding behind some persona of perfection. I love this community, I believe in it, I welcome it with open arms. This is life, this is real and that includes all the knots and gnarls of our humanity. It’s beautiful - let’s celebrate!