blog.readup.com | Bill Loundy | 11/16/20 | 10 min
    9.6
    blog.readup.com
    9.6
    • KapteinB1 day ago

While we're on the topic of things that add complexity: Have you given much thought to how to handle articles and comments in other languages than English?

8 hours ago

Also, check out the email I just sent.

You're in it 😉🤙

8 hours ago

Great question. Jeff is on it.

• bartadamley
      6 days ago

Many important questions to ask about Readup!

I am all for this idea of being radically transparent moving forward.. with the high-level discussions for Readup taking place in a public format, so that our lovely community knows where we stand on this or that.

Cheers to progress one week, one day, one hour at a time!

6 days ago

Heck yeah. And, actually, both high level and low level (meaning: in the weeds) all at once.

Also, I'm thinking that we need a new term that's not "radical transparency."

For one thing, Readup does a lot of WAY more radical stuff than communicate clearly, honestly, and openly. Like our Privacy Policy. And our business model. And, some day soon, our hiring/firing/management policies. I'd rather save the word "radical" for use in other, even more radical contexts.

Beyond that, tons of companies claim to be "radically transparent" and they're SO not.

Coincidentally, I'm looking at a post-it that I've been carrying around for over a year:

venn

Its a Venn diagram that I initially made to describe my own approach to being online. I have always found the concept of "branding" to be borderline profane. But it's also somewhat inevitable. We are all performing all of the time. And, when we're online, our identities are, unavoidably, "personal brands." So this diagram was created as a reminder: Online me will never be 100% real me, but I can keep trying to squeeze these two circles as close together as possible.

Anyway, I think that this concept is interesting here because this is what I want to do with Readup's "voice" and "marketing." I just want it to be (go figure, one of my favorite words!) real, or, more honestly, as real as humanly possible.

Let's think about this - a new (clear & simple) term that means what "radical transparency" can/should mean, if it wasn't already turned into Doublespeak.

• DellwoodBarker6 days ago

🕯This morning’s Mantra Here Is:

“Everyday something Truly Incredible comes my way with Ease.”

⚖️The Insight Here is Extremely Valuable as an individual currently working to Clear Chaos Within Creative Space for fostering Collaborative Entrepreneural Vision. Striking a Healthy Balance between Simplicity and Complexity is an oscillation between Chaos and Order to get to the Heart of the Clear Breathing Flow.

The complexities Really Become Apparent when falling through the Rabbit Hole of Top Tier Business Architectures already in place as the parents conforming your simple ideas into a less filtered mud puddle.

I Admire how u both collaboratively move through the Core Issues with asking one another the Right Questions to Arriving at Root Solutions of Simplicity.

Receiving a Transparent Peek into this Process Is Priceless for each one of Us.

“Every Day Simple & Truly Incredible Innovative Illuminations Come {ReadUp’s} Way With Ease.”

🪔🗽

6 days ago

Dawwwww.

Thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulness.

6 days ago

Now I'm thinking that it's a really good thing that Readup is NOT going to have donation-based, "pay whatever you want" pricing. That model often leaves me feeling like I gave too much or too little. I just want the thing to tell me how much it's worth.

And I think we should really try to drive people to the $14.99 middle tier. If you read a dozen articles per month, all of the writers will get (roughly) less than a buck but more than fifty cents. Thats a good spot.

I'm personally reading >50 articles/month, but damn - this is going to make me want to be so much more intentional.

Also, Glenn Greenwald and Andrew Sullivan get special shoutouts in this blog because I have very literal crushes on both of them. 💕🤐

PS @Jeff, You and I shouldn't get paid for our blog posts.

PSS But also, I def want to get paid for any personal blogging. (And, one day, earn a living on Readup as a writer.?! This shit is so wild.)