1. Deep reading is screen time well spent.

Readup offers distraction-free reading and noise-cancelled comments, built by and for readers. The future is focus. The future is slow. Join us.

AUX | Ines Bellina | 2/10/20 | 4 min
    8.4
    AUX
    8.4
      Reading streakScoutScribe

I honestly have “male misogyny “ fatigue! I also strongly feel the “land of men” must be dismantled. David Foster Wallace just seems like another brilliant narcissist. No thanks.

• jbuchana
      Scribe

I'll have to read more of Wallace's work (as if I had even more time to read).

I've only read one of his pieces, Consider the Lobster", in a writing class I took almost 10 years ago at a local college.

We were to critique the article in an essay of our own. It's been a while, but I remember enjoying the piece, but having some real disagreements with him.

Top reader this weekReading streakScout

I'm not an American, just came to know about David and Adrienne, gonna explore more, already added books to read list.

• SEnkey

I'll have to check out the book.

YES! Thank you SEnkey! The ghost of DFW returns to Readup. Makes me so happy, lol :D

Have you read Infinite Jest? Apparently I'm allowed to ask because I read female writers constantly.

I definitely want to read In the Land of Men. That's a provocative title. Millions of people will read this book for one simple reason: to get closer look into the brain and soul of David vis-a-vis David and Adrienne.

I can't get enough of stuff like this, which alternates between mundane and steamy, always in a weird, sad way:

"Miller was 26 when a 36-year-old Wallace came into her life. The intellectual chemistry between them is alluring, and there’s something satisfying in her ability to hold her own with someone who, for all his faults, was incredibly talented. Miller is clear, however, on what a nightmare Wallace was as a romantic partner. Needy, dismissive, manipulative, and demanding, he gave her backhanded compliments and held grudges.