The New York Times Company | LISA FELDMAN BARRETT | 11/23/20 | 4 min
    9.2
    The New York Times Company
    9.2
    • Plum4 months ago

Agree with all comments. I think most of the benefit of a walk is simply being outside and in nature. There is always nature outside- the sky, weeds, a tree, a bird.

• sjwoo4 months ago

I just heard this podcast episode: https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-great-indoors/

Turns out that even if we just look at photos of the outdoors and listen to recorded birdsong, our moods improve. Of course nothing beats the real thing, but if you're stuck somewhere, watching a calming YouTube video of nature may help more than you think!

• Plum4 months ago

Thanks! I will listen

• Karenz4 months ago

I couldn’t agree more, Plum. Nature is SO healing if you pay attention to it!

• bartadamley

What should be the first thing I do getting out of bed this morning?

Meditating, or Drinking a Glass of Water?

Anyway, this is a really helpful article to have as the Article of the Day, to remind us that we are not as helpless as it may seem. We actually have the ability to alter our brain chemistry, by making one simple decision for example... to drink that glass of water when we get out of bed first thing!

• Dris_Lilley4 months ago

Interesting take on the brains daily function

Always fascinating to study the mind/body connection. I have a terrific book called Your Body Speaks Your Mind by Deb Shapiro. It shows how our thoughts and feelings directly affect our physical health. Another classic is You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay. Our bodies are more intelligent than any computer - walking miracles.

• EZ19694 months ago

I found this article super helpful -it gives a different perspective on anxiety and over-thinking.

• Karenz4 months ago

I like how practical it is, suggesting remedies like hydration, sleep, a good walk, talking to a friend when our bodies need more “deposits.” Very interesting perspective!

• TripleG
          Reading streak

Absolutely kz. Healthy deposits like high quality food and water, deep sleep, walking in nature with your best friend, and interesting intelligent conversation.

• vunderkind

I do think it's helpful. The psychosomatic relationship is one of the low-hanging fruits/entry points to better mental health.

• lifeofhauwa4 months ago

This is an interesting way to look at mental issues, going forward I'm going to try calling a friend when I feel low or taking a walk at least.

1. Update (11/24/2020):

This is an interesting way to look at mental issues, going forward I'm going to try calling a friend when I feel low or take a walk at least.