The New York Times Company | Erin Griffith | 1/26/19 | 11 min
    The New York Times Company
    • erica1 year ago

I often feel this way during the week: "spending time on anything that’s nonwork related has become a reason to feel guilty."

Really interesting comparison of Soviet-era propaganda and labor riots to tech hustle culture and employee protests.

Workaholism is so bizarre because all of us know deep down that this is true:

If I dropped dead tomorrow, all of my acrylic workplace awards would be in the trash the next day, and my job would be posted in the paper before my obituary.

1 year ago

True. That quote caught me too. Those are heavy words.

• jamie1 year ago

These articles are generational...... work could be fun and enlightening but unfortunately it’s usually just work .....I feel we as a society are looking to spiritualize every aspect of life ..... great if possible but let’s value the working stiffs and the value of work as work.

1 year ago

Excellent comment.

• mylavask
      Top reader of all time
      1 year ago

Can we create savings that will let us raise a family and live well into our 70s and 80s without competing for our share of the pie?

1 year ago

Well - do you want to live in a big city? Or might you (and family) be happy into your 70s and 80s in the country?

Excellent article, by the way. This is my favorite sentence: "Perhaps we’ve all gotten a little hungry for meaning."

I don't want to be too judgmental, but I think that being a workaholic probably means you need to reevaluate your values.

1 year ago

PS That last sentence was meant to be a general "you." Not you, mylavask. :)

1 year ago

PS That last sentence was meant to be a general "you." Not you, mylavask. :)