1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

The New York Times CompanyKelli María Korducki6/6/214 min
    The New York Times Company
    • sjwoo1 year ago

It's funny that no matter how much you get paid or how famous you are, work kinda sucks, doesn't it? ;)

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      1 year ago

A 10! In my opinion, this needs to be AOTD. So much was said behind the actual decision by Naomi that needs to be heard. Here’s just a few: “Across class, race, profession and location, women overwhelmingly bear the brunt of unpaid chores and “emotional” labor, both at home and work.” “Like so many other women, the tennis prodigy has recognized that she has a right to put her health and sanity above the unending demands imposed by those who stand to profit from her labors.” I think to challenge her work ethic because of her decision is ridiculous! She’s number 2 in women’s tennis at 23! Those pre-game interviews are non-substantial and certainly could be done away with. It could save all our sanities!!!

• Karenz
        Scribe
        1 year ago

I thought this was an incredibly brave and smart decision by Osaka. I saw her post-game interview when she beat Serena at Wimbledon last year, I think, and I could tell it was excruciating for her even in victory because of defeating an icon like Serena. The losers are always asked how they feel! How would they feel!!!

• Jessica1 year ago

I’ve been thinking a lot about the conversations surrounding personal wellness that have sparked since Osaka withdrew from the French Open and Wimbledon. Those tournaments need her more than she needs them. Really glad she’s taking care of herself; she has set an example for many of us.

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
        1 year ago

This one got me really fired up! Great find!

• Jessica1 year ago

So glad you enjoyed it! I find myself going back to this story when a voice in my head tells me I should kowtow to unreasonable rules that are often at the expense of my own health.

Top reader this weekScoutScribe
            1 year ago

YAY, AOTD!!!

• DellwoodBarker1 year ago

💓😘🙌💎😉🌞

Saying “no" is not a mark of belligerence, but a requirement for surviving modern life. 🌞😉💎🙌😘💓